Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create drawing template with generic representation of base views?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
LiamSmith
471 Views, 3 Replies

How can I create drawing template with generic representation of base views?

I would like to be able to create drawing templates that would store generic representations of views and tables (i.e. Parts Lists etc.). These templates would know the location and type of views, and ideally would show a markup rectangle with a caption. But most importantly, they could be reused with different assembly files and would not be tied to any particular one assembly file. I can also write some custom code to help with the load of objects based on the generic info provided on the template.

How can I create such a template?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: LiamSmith

Look into Sheet Formats in the help.  It will allow you to save the views in your template like you are looking for, along with symbols and text.  I don't think it will work with the Parts List, but it may be possible for your code to insert the parts list once the sheet format places the views.

Message 3 of 4
LiamSmith
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thank you jtylerbc. Could you elaborate in greater detail on how you would save a template with marked up views that would not be dependent on any particular assembly file using sheet formats? I looked into sheet formats, and the only useful part is the use of zones, but that will not work for me.

Message 4 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: LiamSmith

Liam,

It has been a while since I have used these extensively, so hopefully I won't leave out anything critical.  I'm a little rusty on using them, which is why I tried to just give you the term and refer you to the help files.

If you create your Sheet Format from a sheet that includes views, then you end up with views waiting for a model to reference.  When you create a new sheet from that format later, you will be prompted for a model to reference, which will then populate the views.

So, start out by creating a sheet of the desired size in your template that has your title block, revision table, etc. on it. I typically do this on a second sheet, rather than on the default one in the template.  Place views on it of an assembly similar to the ones the template is intended to be used for.  Get the views set up the way you want them (labels, scales, line/shaded/hidden, etc).  If there are common symbols you want to add, place them as well.  Then, create your Sheet Format, and delete the sheet you used to define it.

Although it seems like you're placing views of a specific assembly, once you create the sheet format these become generic view definitions.  When you later create a drawing sheet using this sheet format, it will prompt you to select a model. 

Exactly how much of your desired drawing you can build into the sheet format will depend on exactly what you mean by "marked up views."  For example, text and sketched symbols can be included, but I do not believe it is possible to include dimensions or a parts list in the sheet format definition.  Some of these limitations you may be able to make up for by writing code.

Hopefully that helps. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report