Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Get This Project Started?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
steambc
568 Views, 10 Replies

How Do I Get This Project Started?

I need to create a rather unique shape that doesn't seem to lend itself well to CAD.

It's a Mangels whip Car, the old amusement park ride from the early 1900s. I'm fairly new to CAD and I'm stumped as to how to get the shape of the main tub of the car, I've attached a pic to help you visualize it. It seems I would need to create a 2-D representation of the walls of the car and then conform them to an egg-shaped floor, but perhaps I'm missing a simpler solution. Thanks for any help.

Picture Attached.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: steambc

@steambc wrote:

I need to create a rather unique shape that doesn't seem to lend itself well to CAD.

Looks rather simple to me.

How much training have you had?

What version of Inventor are you using?

Are you familiar with Loft and Patch tools?
Can you attach the file here of what you have attempted so far?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
mnthailand

Is inventor fusion not a good option to create the basic form?

Inventor 2011 (x64)
Productstream Professional 2011 (x64)
Windows 7 (x64)

Product design suite Professional 2013
Message 4 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: mnthailand

@mnthailand wrote:

Is inventor fusion not a good option to create the basic form?

I don't understand why anyone would use Fusion if they have Inventor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
mnthailand

Sorry, you are right. Inventor would be the best option. You suggest loft and patching. I was just wondering...

Is it easy to create a solid, create chamfer(s) and fillet(s) and shell the solid?

BR

Mario

Inventor 2011 (x64)
Windows 7 (x64)

Message 6 of 11
steambc
in reply to: JDMather

Inventor 2013

Training has been CAD Gorilla Inventor for Beginners.

I have done simple lofts, don't remember playing with patch tools although I can go back through that tutorial if it's there.

All I've done is experimentally created the basic shape of the floor with a spline; a simple egg shape. I'm aware that I haven't the knowledge to achieve the top rail profile, where it's taller in the back and shorter in the front.

That's why I'm asking how a designer would approach the job in the first place, i.e. what tools would he use, or what would be his design intent and mindset as he approached the job conceptually?  I'm creating this in order to visualize various color schemes for the real 1920 Whip Car that I'm restoring. I simply want to create a model that I can orbit around with different color combos.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 7 of 11
rdyson

The basic shape doesn't require a spline, just two arcs and two lines symmetrical about a centerline. Loft this to a similar sketch at the appropriate height. Create a sketch on the center line. Draw the cut away portion and do a cut through all both directions, shell and done.

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 11
JDMather

This tutorial is a bit more complex than your design but should give you some good ideas to get started.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

Message 9 of 11
steambc
in reply to: rdyson

@rdyson wrote:

The basic shape doesn't require a spline, just two arcs and two lines symmetrical about a centerline. Loft this to a similar sketch at the appropriate height. Create a sketch on the center line. Draw the cut away portion and do a cut through all both directions, shell and done.

Beautiful! I can visualize exactly what you're talking about and clearly that will work for me. I appreciate the help.

Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 10 of 11
steambc

@Anonymous wrote:

This tutorial is a bit more complex than your design but should give you some good ideas to get started.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

Thanks. I will definitely study that tonight. I appreciate it.
Steam

Using Inventor Pro 2015
Message 11 of 11
mnthailand

Thanks for that. Smiley Happy

Inventor 2011 (x64)
Windows 7 (x64)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report