Inventor General

JDButcher
Message 1 of 5 (287 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hopefully An Easy Sheet Metal Question

287 Views, 4 Replies
01-31-2013 12:43 PM

I am currently working on my first large sheet metal project using inventor 2013.  I have been able to make brackets and other small pieces without to much trouble but I have moved on to making a cube like enclosure with no top.  It is suppose to be a 12" base with three sides coming up at 90* angles to make most of the cube.  The fourth face is at 70 degrees instead of 90 which leaves two large triangular gaps on the two faces that would connect to the slanted face. (See picture)

Enclosure Help.jpg

My Question is what is the "correct" way to fill these gaps.  I have made this look right visually by making a sketch of the missing area using the project geometry command and then making that sketch into another face of the part. Im almost sure that there has to be a cleaner and more professional way to do this.  Any help or solutions woluld be greatly appreciated.  I have also attached the .ipt part to show my work.

Thanks

James

Valued Contributor
jddrinkwater
Message 2 of 5 (277 Views)

Re: Hopefully An Easy Sheet Metal Question

01-31-2013 01:02 PM in reply to: JDButcher

There is indeed, use a 'Corner Seam'.  It will automatically fill in the gap.

John

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 3 of 5 (275 Views)

01-31-2013 01:03 PM in reply to: JDButcher

Hi JDButcher,

You can use the Corner Seam tool to do this.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Corner Seam Sheet Metal Gap.png

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

JDButcher
Message 4 of 5 (254 Views)

01-31-2013 01:51 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks to both of you.. That solution worked like a champ.  I figured that there was a easy way to do it, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Distinguished Contributor
jdavis417
Message 5 of 5 (245 Views)

01-31-2013 01:58 PM in reply to: JDButcher

If you're going to be using the Sheet Metal module often, you might want to check out Seth Hindman's Autodesk University class (from 2008 or 2009).  Surface... Split... Thicken... (thanks Seth)!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube