Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holes show as oblong in flat pattern.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
shastu
1553 Views, 9 Replies

Holes show as oblong in flat pattern.

Please see attached file.  Is there anyway to get my hole to show up as a round hole in the flat pattern?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JavaLodge
in reply to: shastu

I'm not entirely sure why the hole is showing up as oblong.  My suspicion is that it's because the hole is on a curved surface (that is, the face that it is on has a curve, though it is an in-plane curve).  Whatever the reason, you could try adding the hole after the flat pattern is generated.  This hole will not show up when you go back to the folded part, but as long as you know its position relative to the edges you should be able to place it acurately.

Yes, see attached... though i doubt you'll like it that way either...

The roll is adding extra deformation, which might not be what it's doing in reality. (at least not as severe...)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

Check the Flat Pattern in this file.

If the hole is made before rolling the part - the hole cannot be round in both the flat pattern and the rolled part as the material will be stretched.

If the hole is drilled after rolling - then it should not appear in the flat pattern.

Whether Inventor does the correct stretching of the hole is another question (I didn't try to evaluate), but logic indicates that the material stretches (or compresses) and therefore cannot be round in both states.

Edit:  I see neils beat me to the example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
shastu
in reply to: -niels-

No, that is not what I want either.  I wanted an actual hole both in the folder model, and the flat pattern, but when that didn't work I tried a cut just to see if that would give different results but it didn't.

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Check this "solution".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
shastu
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks so much for the quick response.  I knew there had to be a way to do it.

Message 8 of 10
-niels-

I figured as much, JD was a bit more thorough in explaining why it's happening.
See his other examples, maybe that works for you.
What i would do, if this would have to be made on our lasercutter, is model the folded so it works for assemblies and edit the flat pattern, filling the oblong hole and just recreate a round hole on the correct spot as a "flat-pattern only" feature.
Also not the greatest solution, but production could continue.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 10

Question:

How did you do in revision 1?? I see the same operations than in the one with the problem. Where do i have to go in rev 1 to get the same result? 

Message 10 of 10
shastu
in reply to: claudio.fernandez

The difference is in the Contour Roll1 feature.  Under the Unrolling & Unfolding.  The original file had an Unroll Method of Developed Length.  The Rev1 had an Unroll Method of Centroid Cylinder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report