Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole Chart - Unable to select holes in assembly

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
tmaupin
1177 Views, 15 Replies

Hole Chart - Unable to select holes in assembly

Hello all,

My problem is the hole chart feature in a .idw drawing will not work for an assembly file in .iam format (see Capture1.JPG). I have tried the "Hole Selection" "Hole View" and "Hole Features" options to no avail.  I can get the hole chart to work perfectly for a part file in .ipt format but when I apply the same methodology to an assembly file it does not reconize any of the holes.

I have attached both the assembly and drawing files and yes, the holes were created with the hole feature and not with extrusion.

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Program: Inventor 2014

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
blair
in reply to: tmaupin

You didn't attach the IPT files that are needed to go with the IAM file. The IAM file is basically a data-base of which files, how many of them, their location within the IAM and Constraints. I am pretty sure that you will find the Hole Table only looks at the upper level for sketch points. Holes done in a IPT will only show up on a IDW of the IPT. Only holes done at the Assembly Level of a IAM will show up in the IDW of the IAM and not add in holes for IPT's at levels below the IAM.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 16
tmaupin
in reply to: blair

So basically the only way to get the hole chart to detect the holes on the .iam file would be to add all the holes  in the .iam file over top of the existing holes from the .ipt?

Message 4 of 16
blair

Or just place the holes at the assembly level if you are doing it that way in production

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 16
SBix26

You should be able to get a hole chart in an assembly drawing, even if the holes are created in the parts.  I just tried it with Inventor 2014 and it works for me.

Only thing I can think of is that the view is not perfectly aligned with the face of the part(s), which it must be in order to make any sense of X-Y coordinates.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2014 SP2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 6 of 16
tmaupin
in reply to: SBix26

Thats how I assumed it should be able to work...however I am aligning the view the exact same way using the part and assembly file and only the holes are only detected on the part file no matter how many times I try to re-align.

Message 7 of 16
SBix26

Only thing I can suggest is to post the dataset and see if anyone can figure it out.

Sam B

Message 8 of 16
tmaupin

In my previous posts I have posted the .iam along with the three .ipt files that make up the assembly as well as my .dwg. What other files should I post?

Message 9 of 16
rdyson

Good catch Ssam:

Capture.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 16
SBix26

Sorry, you did indeed post the files.  And they show that the assembly is off by the angle that rdyson shows in his post.  If you place the view looking directly at that face, you will be able to place a hole chart.

Sam B

Message 11 of 16
blair
in reply to: rdyson

Good pick-up. I never detail parts in holes in IPT's in the IAM file. We try to keep to one drawing to one part and only detail the IAM as to what's required to assemble the IAM file. If holes are placed in the IPT, then a drawing is done for that IPT. Guess is goes back to earlier days of IV and having a IDW go bad and loose 20 pages of drawings.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 16
tmaupin
in reply to: rdyson

That was the issue, thank you both very much. I am sure I placed the sheet metal plate at the grounded origin but perhaps I accidentially clicked and moved it as I was aligning the inserts.

What is that oragne plane you have in the picture? A work plane? The only way I could tell the plate was missaligned was looking perpendicular to the top edge through the holes and seeing they were slightly off of each other.

Message 13 of 16
blair

Starting in IV2014 there is an option to allow for first part to be grounded at origin. This was the default for previous versions on Inventor. IV2014 and later now allows for the ability to rotate the first placed part about a number of axis. By RMB while placing the first part in a IAM brings up the dialogue for this. You can change the settings to automatically ground in the Application Options>Assembly>Ground first part on placement.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 16
rdyson

Tools / Measure / Angle
between the face with the holes and (in this case) the XY Plane

PDSU 2016
Message 15 of 16
SBix26

To correct the problem, or at any time after placement, you can use the Ground and Root Component tool.  This is in the Productivity panel.  This not only grounds the selected part, it also places flush constraints to the origin planes, so it cannot be accidentally moved.

Sam B

Message 16 of 16
tmaupin
in reply to: blair

Thanks for the tip, I do have one more question. I am unable to select the external radius of the inserts that face upwards. D7 in the picture below refers to the diameter of the hole where the fastener is to be placed, when what I would like it to refer to is the diameter of the hole in the sheet metal where the insert needs to be placed. 

Capture2.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report