Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide Part Sketch Construction Lines

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
gnick
16103 Views, 21 Replies

Hide Part Sketch Construction Lines

Is there any way to hide construction lines in Part & Assembly sketches in the same way you can in a Drawing sketch?

I know you can change the line colour to the background colour but this makes the lines invisible in sketch as well which doesn't really help!

Not being able to hide the construction is making some layouts pretty pointless since relevant detail is obscured by the construction lines. Grounding the geommetry and deleting the construcion lines isn't an option since the sketches are part of the design development and not fixed.

gNick
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
mcgyvr
in reply to: gnick

Can't you just turn off visibility of that sketch?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 22
gnick
in reply to: mcgyvr

I am using sketches to provide a simplified view of a lot of equipment. If I make them invisible they aren't much use!

I would prefer to have construction lines that are only visible in the sketch, which is after all what you would use construction lines for...

gNick
Message 4 of 22
Dennis_Jeffrey

Without seeing the file, it sounds like you may be making the sketches overly complicated. Can you post an example ipt and the IV version used?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 22
CadUser46

You could do two things.

1.  Put the construction lines on one sketch then project the geometry onto a second sketch with visual lines.  Turn off visibility of construction sketch.

2.  Im assuming you are using sketch constraints were possible instead of construction lines?  Hence the amount of construction lines should be at a minimum.  Not at me desk right now so cant sugest anything else.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 6 of 22
gnick
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

The sketches aren't over-complicated. Our installation of IV gets prone to crashing with complex sketches.

The problem isn't with the size or complexity of the sketches, it is with the way that IV displays construction lines. Every sketch that has construction lines, even the projection of the datum planes has these lines visible when the sketch is visible. I can switch off the display of dimensions, so why not construction lines?

When creating sketches that are consumed by the features that they are used to generate, this isn't an issue but when using sketches for conceptual design it results in a very cluttered view.

I am using IV2011, 64-Bit Edition under Windows XP64

gNick
Message 7 of 22
gnick
in reply to: CadUser46

1. The problem with having the construction lines on a second sketch is that it effecively duplicates sketches which makes the model tree harder work. It is at least an practical work-round to the problem though.

2. Go teach grandmother to suck eggs - not that I have ever heard of anyone sucking eggs, certainly not either of my grandmothers! Seriously I am trying as many options as possible to reduce construction lines apart from above which I will do now...

gNick
Message 8 of 22
stephengibson76

If you dont use centrelines, change the construction geometry to centreline geometry then in the styles editor, in layers, click the exclude from plot on the centreline layer.

It would be nice if within styles you could differentiate between sketch geometry and construction sketch geometry with the object defaults

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 9 of 22
CadUser46

Ha ha, sorry had to ask.

Its not ideal but here is a workaround.  In the sketch edit change the propertyof the construction line to white then change the background to white also.

In the attached picture i was hovering over the construction line in the first pic.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 10 of 22
gnick

I know how to do it, I don't like doing it because

(a) it is a poor solution since you then can't see the lines in sketch unless you hover over them

(b) it doesn't really help if you are using a graduated background.

Having to hide the lines by making them the same colour as the background is something that strikes me as a workaround in DOGS not a modern CAD system.

The really irritating thing is that in Drawing sketches you can do this

gNick
Message 11 of 22
CadUser46

Yea its not even close to elegant.  Id also like to be able to hide projected geometry in part/assembly sketches as we quite often detail engraved lines in the model and pull them through to the drawing.

I also use the gradient background, white is too much to look at all day but if it was just to get the presentation shot.

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 12 of 22
AnotherFully

Any luck with switching those construction off?

Message 13 of 22
snowflake30

Gnick,

I feel for you. I'm experiencing the exact same difficulties. Having switched from ProE and Solidworks I'm sorely missing this feature. The workarounds on this thread are pretty messy and/or cumbersome if you've found a solution I'd be eager to hear. If i find one I'll shall post.

Message 14 of 22
swhite

Yes, they need a simple dialog box to open when showing a sketch to ask if you want construction lines to show or not. One of these coding wizards on here could probably figure out how to do it. I feel your pain as we usually do general arangement drawings where everything is sketched out for placement, and then have to hide all the construction lines in the idw. Would be great if you cld just turn the construction line layer off in the drawing environment.

Place the idea here for the next release.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 15 of 22
swhite

Why not actually emboss the lines on the part?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 16 of 22
snowflake30
in reply to: swhite

I not sure I'd benefit from embossing the lines. I dont want them to change the model surface or indeed material properties. Will just cause further work for defeaturing when I come to structurally analyse. I'd jyust have expecetd the lines to be either auotmatically hidden once a sketch has been exited or at least be able to toggle them on or off. I'll log the request with autodesk.

Message 17 of 22
albert.a.ybarra

Constrain all construction lines to equal.  Then make them .1" or something small so they won't be visible.   

Message 18 of 22
falcao_queiroz

The year is 2023 and Autodesk still couldn't figure out how to implement the hide constuction line feature. No wonder  Inventor is treated as a low-end  limited CAD software.

Message 19 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: falcao_queiroz

@falcao_queiroz wrote:

The year is 2023….

@falcao_queiroz 

There is an easy way to do this.

Attach your *.ipt file here for demonstration if you can’t figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 20 of 22

Hi Falcao,

Do you just want to hide construction lines within a sketch or you want to hide the entire sketch? For the former, indeed there isn't a way to hide lines in construction linetype within a sketch. For the latter, you may hide the entire sketch accordingly.

Please elaborate what exactly you want to do.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report