Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with stress/strain analysis on a metal plate

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
69fastback
854 Views, 4 Replies

Help with stress/strain analysis on a metal plate

I am new to inventor however have used other software in the past, I am trying to learn how to carry out stress analysis within inventor and have applied what seemed logical to me, however when I got my results file it does not seem to add up.

I want to investigate the effect that a crack will have on a piece of steel plate, I have applied a fixed constraint to one side of the plate, and a load to the other side, as well as a seperation contact on the sides of the crack (see file attached)

Can anyone advise if this is correct?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: 69fastback

@69fastback wrote:

....however when I got my results file it does not seem to add up.

Please explain.  How do the results differ from what you expected?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
69fastback

I thought the results looked low, (all 0.xxx values) however I think what I was doing before was wrong so discarded them. It was also showing the red (which I guess is highest stress point) to be away from the weak point built into my model (the fracture called extrusion 2)

I have started the Stress analysis again, this time I have 'fixed constrained' one end of the plate, and spil the top face to apply a load to the other end, I have applied a material and also generated a mesh. Is it possible for you to check it out and let me know if I am on the right track?

Also can you recomend any guides that go through this kind of thing from a beginner level, I understand modeling (very similar to UG which I work on) but I am totally new to FEA.

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

Before we go too far - are you really after Fracture Analysis?

In that case you probably want to use another product (like maybe Autodesk Analysis) as Autodesk Inventor is only useful in the Elastic range of deformation.

Second - I would have called that feature a V-notch rather than a "crack".

It also concerns me that your load is completely different direction than original file you posted.

Are you sure of what you are after.

If you are a student - there are some tutorials here http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

You might also check www.amazon.com for book by Wasim Younis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
69fastback
in reply to: JDMather

Yea I am a student hence the mixed up forces applied. I am aware the Inventor can't work out fracture analysis, will have a bit research on the other software package you suggested as it may be more suitable for me.

I aimed to load the part with axial force, and realise that is not what was shown in the second example! I was just trying different approaches to see if the results made more sense to me.

I expect to see in FEA, evidence that the 'crack' would grow and propogate under load. However that is not what I have seen so far, the stress/strain has been distributed evenly accross the part.

I will have a look at the guides on the link you posted and see if I can get any further - Thanks for you help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report