Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with loft

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
nstiesi
536 Views, 7 Replies

Help with loft

After many evenings of furious modeling, I finally got a lofted airfoil that I am happy with.  I bascally built this model from a pdf scan of a blueprint.  I used the print and its descriptions of different sections and outline to plot enough points, create lines and splines between them, and finally a multisection loft with guide rails.

However, I am stuck on the very tip.  The last section transitions to the very edge of the wing, which I have decided to approximate as a rectangular section.  However, the section is not planar; it follows the curve of the wing tip from leading edge to trailing edge.

I cannot loft to the curved flat.  I tried to use boundary patches but I had the same problem that I had when I first tried to use boundary patch to create the entire wing: The result is segmented and the edges between the patches are not smooth.

I am so close to finishing this project.....how can I smoothly model the tip as shown below.  Thank you!

tip1.JPG

tip2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: nstiesi

Attach *.ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
nstiesi
in reply to: JDMather

.IPT file attached

Message 4 of 8
mrattray

Please, let us know what version of Inventor you are using in the future. It will save us who are not running the latest version from wasting time and bandwidth downloading a file we can't open.
For others: this is a 2014 file.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 8
nstiesi
in reply to: mrattray

Yes, apologies.  It is indeed an Inventor 2014 part.  I use 2013 at work, but this project is on my own time, so I downloaded a 30 day trial of 2014 on my home pc not thinking about forward compatibility issues.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

Something like this (you didn't bother to dimension anything, so I didn't bother to try to exactly match yours).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
nstiesi
in reply to: JDMather

First of all, thank you very much for the assistance.  I had only today read about lofting to a point and didnt know it could be helpful in this situation.

As is, it looks like a perfectly acceptable solution, though I won't be able to implement it into my design until tonight.

I didnt bother to dimension anything yet as I was still exploring the methodology in doing this design in CAD.  Too many constraints actually made tweaking more difficult.  All of the points comprising my design were laid out on a scaled photo of blue prints, and it was helpful to be able to push and pull the vertices at will to help smooth out the shape.  Once I have everything finalized I will go back and lock it all down so I can export to a CNC.

My next question is, with this method would I still be able to use guide curves to further refine the shape?  In the versions you posted, I noticed that the wireframe was gone, so I am curious how the loft to a point still managed to follow the inteded shape of the wing for the most part. 

Message 8 of 8
nstiesi

Well, unfortunately when lofting to a point was performed with my guide rails as shown in the picture above, the loft failed.  I could get it to work if I didnt choose the tangent condition on the point, but then the wing tip had a strange pinch in it.

Is there not way to simply fill in the wireframe as pictured....only smoothly?  Is loft the wrong operation for this model?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report