Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with configuration/representation of a model

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
242 Views, 2 Replies

Help with configuration/representation of a model

I recently switched from Solidworks to Inventor due to a job change.  Right now I am still adjusting to the differences.  One of the things I haven't been able to figure out is how I can show one assembly in more than one configuration for drawing purposes.  For example we make trailers and need to make an overall footprint drawing of the trailer in both deployed and travel mode.  What I need to do is physically move some of the parts on the model (assembly file) to different locations and show it in a drawing.  Then I will need to move everything back and make another drawing.  The problem is if I plan to send out a dwg it is going to update automatically.  That means that based on the way I "left" the assembly that's how it will show up in the drawing.  I know that I could save a copy of the assembly file with a different name, move everything, then reference the drawing to that model.  The problem with this though is if I want to change one assembly I would have to change both.  Is there any way to do this?  I know in solidworks it was called "configuations".  I've tried to use representations in Inventor but it seems to only working for making things visible or not.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

F1 "positional representations"

F1 is the help shortcut for Inventor. Then just type "positional representations" into the index keyword area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response.  I still think I am missing something though.  I made a new positional representation and named it "deployed".  I moved everything I needed into place and then made another positional representation called "transport mode".  My hope was to change between the two representations and see the trailer in each respective state.  What happened is when I went to show the other representation it automatically went back to the "master" representation.  I'm a little confused on why it would do that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report