Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Fillet Welds

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
669 Views, 8 Replies

Help with Fillet Welds

Below is an image of a Metal Game Die project that I am working up for use in both my CAD Design class (Inventor 2013) as well as metalworking class.  My metalworking students will have to work from complete drawing sets delivered by the CAD Design class. 

Problem is . . . I can't figure out how to finsh the corner (fillet) welds on the remaining 8 edges with clean wraps around the corners like you would do in real life. 

Any suggestions??

I have tried everything I can think of, including searching these forums.

Thanks,

Tom

Metal Game Die.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CCarreiras
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

Can you attach the files?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Cadmanto

What kind of weld did you try using?

I would think if you use a fillet weld and select all of the edges it should giveyou what you are looking for.

weld.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

In addition to other suggestions I might add a very small, tiny, miniscule fillet in the four corners.

Attach your assembly here and we'll take a look.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Alright . . .

I think I might have gotten it acceptable.  Here's what I tried last:

I completed the next weld as a fillet between the two basic faces:

Metal Game Die.FirstFillet.jpg

Then . . . I tried a 'Groove' weld, 'fulll face', 'fill radially', and selected the top end of the vertical weld bead as face 1, and the ends of the two incoming horizontal weld beads as face 2.  Seemed to fill in okay:

Metal Game Die.SecondGroove.jpg

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the skinny on attaching files, but . . . I don't see any 'end of part' in the browers.  I have an 'end of features' part way down the brower list.  I might try and do a screen capture and post it.

I posted below my best attempt at creating a realistic looking weld by just filling in the little missing triangular corner with a 'groove' weld.

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

End of Part is in the Part files (it might not be necessary for this small assembly).

I ended up making my own parts - but didn't find a solution to your problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 9
graemev

When picking faces on the panels already welded, select the ends of the existing welds too.  That is to say, group 1 might be the four edges of the 3-panel, and group 2 would then be the edges from the 1, 2, 5, and 6 panels and the ends of the welds joining those panels together.

Message 9 of 9
blair
in reply to: graemev

I dad to create fillets on the top and bottom first for all the sides then create the vertical fillet starting the the end of the side fillet, then that side and the bottom fillet for selection 1, then the bottom fillet, vertical side and end of top fillet of selection 2 to get the miter fillet at the top and bottom. I just used the flat corner fillet.

Capture1.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report