Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help getting a cut error out of sheet metal.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
305 Views, 6 Replies

Help getting a cut error out of sheet metal.

Well guys I'm back for "round two" Smiley Frustrated

JD and ccarreiras, hopefully you can help again. This is the second part related to the irst BWing that I sent earlier.

I took your guys advice and really tried to clean up this model. Everythings constrained (both dims and geometric) and i hope it doesnt look like a mess.

The problem I'm having is that on this larger "BatWing" (aka BWing, our company's nickname for the part) I'm getting, I wouldnt exactly call it an error but thats the best way I can describe it, a poor cut using the cut command. It cuts too far, where there is no space, which shouldnt be a problem, but it is messing with the top of the part. 

Heres a screenshot to help out: 

Error.png

Error.png

Thanks in advance!

Rheese G.

rg97

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I haven't opened the file yet, but my guess is that you will need to use the alternate techique suggested of using a Thickened trimmed surface body.

Now to see if I am correct, back in a bit....

While I am working up a solution - there are two Service Packs for r2014 that should be installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

You should always check a Flat Pattern in wireframe visual style.

If modeled correctly all cut edges should be perpendicular to the flat (one profile curve).

Zoom in this area and you will see the edges are not perpendicular to the flat pattern.

Perpendicular Edges.PNG

And again - you are not making use of symmetry - WorkPlane 2 should not be needed.

And never ever use a Zero length dimension - Coincident constraint does the same thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

To finish the part -

simply drag the red EOP above the Thicken feature (Inventor will give you a warning about Flat Pattern, if this is annoying then I simply delete the flat pattern till done.

Oops, I realized I edited and attached the wrong file - here is the correct file.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

1. The reason work plane 2 was there was to mirror features, not sketches, such as the iFeature punch (which was not mirrored anymore in the part that is in your screenshot)

2. I had known about the flat pattern edges not being perpidicular to the flat pattern, that was going to be my next question, but you answered it for me already, so thanks. Once I see what you do, its easier to understand, but I still dont know exactly what you're doing. I feel bad if I come here and people think that I'm here to throw you a broken part and you fix it. I dont mind that you do, but my main goal is to try and help myself to learn better practice. It would be nice if there was a shett metal guide (whether text or maybe a video) that maybe you knew of?

3. I knew that there are service packs that can be installed, but my license is up in less than two weeks and I'm moving to inventor 2015, so it wasn't really my priority. I went ahead and did it anyways to make you happy 

Attched is the finished product, or at least what I think it should be. 

Message 6 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

1. The reason work plane 2 ...

In the latest part you again created an unnecessary workplane - it already existed - expand the origin folder and note the YZ plane is the same as the plane you created.

Whenever possible - avoid creating workplanes when you can use the Origin planes as they are more robust (cannot be deleted and are not dependent on other geometry).

Years ago there used to be a sheet metal book for Inventor.

You might search past http:\\au.autodesk.com presentations, but frankly, the way I learned Inventor is exactly the way you are - by posting questions and reading responses here.  Because the file stores the history of how a part is created - it is like reading a book.  And because often times others will post several different solutions to the same problem - it is even better than reading a static book.  A solution will often "develop", one person posts a solution, then another, perhaps prompting some thinking that would otherwise not occur and then an even more sophisticated solution is arrived at.  That is the power of a "Collaboratory" (Collaboration Laboratory) like this forum.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Ok i understand you now. In my original part, the plane centers were not centered on the part. I did not realize that you changed them (at least i'm pretty sure you did when you edited the part), so I never looked at the YZ plane. Thanks for clarifying

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report