Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help converting to DXF files

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mansugi
459 Views, 12 Replies

Help converting to DXF files

Hello,

Hope I am posting this on the right place

I created a few files using the student version of Inventor hoping to have a local water jet place do some cutting for me. Unfortunate, they can't read ipt files. They wanted it in dxf files.

So I'm wondering if anybody here can help me converting  ipt files into dxf files.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
rhasell
in reply to: mansugi

Hi

Can't speak for the student version.

But it would normally be "Export to DWG"

The IPT file is going to export a 3d file, you need to make a drawing (IDW) of the part and export that as dwg.

You can also "Save copy as" and select DXF from the pull down list.

What I used to do, is delete all borders and titleblocks from the file.

Place the views at 1:1 scale. (Dont worry about exceeding the paper space)

That takes all the guess work out of exporting the file, and ensures the correct scale.

If you don't come right, post the file , I will help you.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 13
JDMather

mansugi wrote:.

So I'm wondering if anybody here can help me converting  ipt files into dxf files.

RIght mouse button click on the face to be exported.
Select Export Face As......

Export Face.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
mansugi
in reply to: rhasell

I did send him just the face, but he is missing the top section of the part.

I would like to sent him a 3D dxf file so he can look at every angle.

Anyway, here I attach the files.

Message 5 of 13
mansugi

3 more files

Message 6 of 13
rhasell

Hi

Sorry, but I don't understand anymore?

You are talking about 2 different issues here. What do you mean by saying "he is missing the top section of the part?

Did you not export the file/face correctly?

I will wait for Mr JDMather to chip in, as your sketches are not contrained, and he can help with exporting the assembly. (Pack and go) The attached assembly is not the same assembly for the parts posted. The Bolted Connections are missing. (On a personal note, thats why I hate Bolted connections)

After looking at the parts, there are a total of 3 faces that need to be exported. The waterjet is not going to chamfer or thread the holes. (Not sure if he can cut the hole on the side of the motormount)

The easiest way to show the model in this case is to create a drawing, and PDF it to manufacturer.

Reg
Message 7 of 13
rhasell

motor mount DWG file.

All files are in 2004 version.

Reg
Message 8 of 13
mansugi

You are right.

I am not very familiar with the whole thing. I just started learning this program.

Yes, on the motormount, I understand he can't chamfer or thread the holes but at least he can locate and drill a pilot holes to be aligned with the rest of the parts. He did mention that he can't see the top hole...looking down because he only can view from the front face.

Message 9 of 13
rhasell

Then my advice for your design is:

Make up some manufacturing drawings.

Start with the assembly

Detail each Sub assembly with the individual components associated with the assembly/sub assembly.

The component drawings needed to create additional holes/machining/welding etc.

Send the files for cutting, along with some drawings/documentation for quantities and plate thicknesses, etc.

Send everything via PDF for manufacture and assembly.

Reg
Message 10 of 13
rhasell
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather.

Thanks, learnt something new, quick and easy way to send an individual part without any frills.

Reg
Message 11 of 13
JDMather

Your design is not ready yet to send to manufacturing.

For example, rightfrontplate doesn't have any dimensions and if I start adding dimensions - they don't make sense.

Dimensions.PNG

I recommend you read this document

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

When you use Bolted Connection - I recommend you set the Custom tick so that your fasteners are saved local in your project.

I recommend that you do not rename files as they are hyperlinked in the assembly - when you rename the "address" is lost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
mrattray

My preferred method for exporting dxf's for nc work is to create a flat patten and RMB on the Flat Pattern browser node>Save Copy As. (You can do this with parts that aren't sheet metal, too.) There's lots of useful options for compatibility with nc software, like converting splines to lines & arcs, layer controls, etc. and there's no chance your files going to come out at a wonky scale or with title blocks like when you're exporting from a drawing.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 13
mansugi
in reply to: JDMather

Wow.....After reading all these replies....I am lost.

I am very new with CAD. I have no clue at all. I learned all these stuff thru youtube and manage to do those files that I need for a personal hobby project. Also that was the reason why I used the student version.

Anyway....I've read all those pdf.....and then realized what you guys talked about is all over my head.

Just wondering if any of you can really help me with this project. Now I have no confident of sending these files because I am afraid that all the dimensions are wrong. All I wanted are files that I can sent it to a local waterjet cutter so he can do the cutting.

Please let me know if you can help. We can go off-board.....if we have to.

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions.

Az

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report