Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help completing model Thom Tremblay's book Inventor 2012 essentials

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Petervanh
558 Views, 6 Replies

Help completing model Thom Tremblay's book Inventor 2012 essentials

I am having difficulty completing the dotted line construction on page 88 of Thom's book, the book starts by saying 'you can develop a sketch that includes a number of hole centres', how? This pattern is already in place on the downloaded file c3-14.ipt used in the exercise when you open it, then the instruction on page 89 in the book goes onto say 'This will help the Hole tool find them automatically' meaning some stages of the construction have been performed by the author and have not been explained in the book, I would like to know how to complete these stages. For a learner this is not easy to fathom out because the construction is on an inclined plane and because of the orientation of the hole pattern which is also rotated by 90 deg, can anyone help me please?

Peter.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Petervanh

Attach your ipt file here.

You can toggle normal lines to construction by selecting and then clicking the Construction icon in the upper right corner of the screen when in Sketch Environement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
SBix26

... and likewise, you can toggle points between sketch points and center points by using the Center Point toggle two icons to the right of the construction toggle.  This is what (I suspect) Mr. Tremblay is referring to.

I routinely define hole locations by using construction geometry (rectangles, lines, etc.), then toggling the end points to centers.  I have that toggle assigned to the numberpad * key, and I use it frequently.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 7
thom.tremblay

Yes, Hole Centers are the key to the exercise. Thanks to those who offered assistance. Additional questions on that book can also be sent directly to inventor.essentials@yahoo.com. 

Message 5 of 7
Petervanh
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your reply you have taught me something new, I think I will have to work through it my self, use the project geometry tool first and try to pick up useful points to produce construction lines as the book shown

regards

Peter.

Message 6 of 7
Petervanh
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you for your assistance, I think I will need to work through stage by stage first projecting geometry onto the face then picking up any useful geometry to place construction lines, a steep learning curve currently!

regards

Peter

Message 7 of 7
Petervanh
in reply to: thom.tremblay

Thom,

Thank you for your reply and contact information, do you have or can you suggest where I can find more fully worked examples to follow? I think I need to work on a few more basic ipt's from first principles.

Best regards

Peter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report