Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Unable to resolve link

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Justin_DeSilva
1537 Views, 5 Replies

Help - Unable to resolve link

Autodesk Inventor LT 2011

After renaming several derived parts, 1 of the parts won't re-insert/link itself into the .ipt model. I receive the error message as shown. (please note: actual file names and locations aren't shown)

D:Concept\Part5.ipt has a reference to D:Hardware\USB-B.ipt. It has been resolved to D:Hardware\USB-1020.ipt which is not the same file as originally referenced. The resolved document is not usable!

The original file name was titled USB-B.ipt while the renamed file is USB-1020.ipt. Any idea as to why the derived file/link won't update?

Capture13.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: Justin_DeSilva

I have to believe Inventor when it says the renamed file is not the same as the old one.  Therefore, what you thought you did may not be what actually happened, and you'll have to sort through your files (or pull backups?!) to find the right one.  Been there and done that...

Message 3 of 6
japike

I've had a few times when i've renamed a file, but because inventor retains stuff in memory even after the file is closed, inventor gets confused. In those cases, closing  and restarting inventor sometimes helps.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 6
Justin_DeSilva
in reply to: japike

I was hoping I could relink a part with another file name and the alternate component would be inserted. In some instances this works, in some it doesn't. I don't know what the difference is but the only solution was to reinsert the alternate part.

Message 5 of 6
mrattray

You can't fool Inventor by changing file names. It writes a unique hidden GUID key to every file it creates that it uses to tell files apart. In other words, if you have a part named part1a and you want to eplace it with a new part that was created you can't just delete the old part and stick the new one in the same folder with the name part1a because Inventor will see that the GUID doesn't match.

My suggestion is to always avoid doing anything in Windows Explorer to Inventor files. Instead, use only Inventor itself to manipulate files.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 6
Justin_DeSilva
in reply to: mrattray

Great input, that's exactly what i was hoping for someone to clarify. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report