Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 11 of 15 (219 Views)

Re: Help: Frame Generator (Non-existing geometry)

10-15-2013 05:29 AM in reply to: jacoj

jacoj wrote:

Hi all

I have exactly the same issue, we uses a wireframe to mange our frames as a controller?

please tell me what does "cross part geometry references should be avoided at all costs" mean.

how should I avoid this or constrain the frame members.

Hi,

When I posted that comment, I was referring to using existing geometry in an assembly as reference geometry for a new sketch... wether it be frame generator or something else.  I have never had good luck doing that.  If anything at all changes on the part the sketch references, you will get cross part geometry errors. 

For example, if you are in an assembly and you want to add a sketch to your frame, it is tempting to "include geometry" from other parts or subassemblies into that new frame sketch.  That creates a relationship between your sketch and whatever part or subassembly that "included" geometry belongs to.  Now what happens if that other part or sub moves or changes?  You get errors.

This is just my opinion and preference, so take it for what it is worth.  I prefer to avoid doing that, and use dimensions or constraints that do not rely on outside geometry to control my frame sketches.  For me, that's what has had the most stable results.

Good luck!

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Valued Contributor
jacoj
Message 12 of 15 (216 Views)

10-15-2013 05:37 AM in reply to: cbenner

thank you

yes I use a wire frame purely and no references, just dimensions and constraints, work like a charm.

but get the infamous "I" error when replacing members form FG, but it seems like an Inventor issue.

kind regards

Valued Contributor
CAG_DRAFT
Message 13 of 15 (199 Views)

10-15-2013 08:19 PM in reply to: cbenner

My main workflow used to lean heavily on cross-part-references but with a bit of use of the Simplify/shrinkwrap tools I've managed to get to a point where there is usually no cross part references at all, this leads to much better performance in bigger assemblies and less headaches when modifying features. (simplify > shrinkwrap)

When making large changes to a frame sketch sometimes I'll delete all of the relevant constraints so that I can freely rearrange the member/lines without actually creating replacement lines for anything that can be reused. (the split tool can be handy for this aswell)

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 14 of 15 (190 Views)

10-16-2013 08:01 AM in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

I've started using a lot of 3D sketches for frames as well, more fun to constrain for sure, but they get the job done.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Valued Contributor
jacoj
Message 15 of 15 (180 Views)

10-16-2013 09:37 PM in reply to: cbenner

yes for sure,

managing the wireframe and constraints is easy,

Autodesk need to look into when you decide to change a frame member with frame generator, then

all references and and constrainst dont always update, and loses ref with the infamous "I" Icon,

you can build or constrain as good as you like, it still brakes,

let one think if Inventor is rellay so "quick" on  changes.

reading the white papers Autodesk suggest to delete these error members and replace, but this opens up a new can of worms with vault, because now you have to go back and delete the old ones from vault, rebuild new members, and reconstrain parts and gusset fitting on the members.

come on Autodesk, give us the power ....

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube