Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a part follow a path in an assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
blues4flag
8420 Views, 5 Replies

Have a part follow a path in an assembly

Hello,

Is there a way to have a part follow a path with a defined offset? I'm trying to get a maglev train to follow a track (both straight and curved segments) and need it to levitate (i.e. be offset from the track). The transitional constraint doesn't work as it needs the parts to be touching.

Is it possible to define a path (one that's offset from the track itself) and have the train follow that? Similar to the Path Mate feature in Solidworks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4icHWwE0DU

That withstanding, it is possible to combine the faces of the straight and curved sections into one face and use a tangential constraint that way?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: blues4flag

Create a dummy part for the offset and then turn off visibility.
or
Use a path in Dynamic Simulation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
blues4flag
in reply to: JDMather

How do I create a dummy part and how does it help? Can't find anything on the web nor in my Mastering Autodesk textbook.

Message 4 of 6
chrisw01a

You could try something like this.

Open the "train_idea" assembly.  There is a constraint in the "train" part that says "Drive Train".  Drive this constraint and the square part will follow the path.  Or suppress that constraint and move it freely along the path.  It took some doing, but it can be done.  Hope this helps you...

This was done using transitional constraints and two "guide" parts that are invisible.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

@blues4flag wrote:

How do I create a dummy part and how does it help? Can't find anything on the web nor in my Mastering Autodesk textbook.

A "dummy part" is created the same as any other part.  It is used for construction or control purposes only and not really a part of the real world assembly.  The visibility is turned off to hide.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
blues4flag
in reply to: JDMather

Perfect! Created a new part and had it offset of the original and it works fine.

Spoiler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report