Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harness Warning Message

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1795 Views, 15 Replies

Harness Warning Message

[quote]

The sweep operation failed for the harness segement. Adjust the segment geometry and try again.

[/quote]

I get this warning appear quite often when manipulating segments. Its a real pain as it does not tell which part of the segment geometry is wrong!

Is there a way of knowing which point to adjust...?

Cheers,
Charlie.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

no it wont tell you exactly which segment.
But its typically the one with the harshest bend in that segment.
I believe that error comes when you exceed your minimum bend radius of the wire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

cheers..It would be nicer if it was more specific!...
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

We are aware of this and will improve it in the future release.

Thanks,

--
Wei Li (Autodesk)

The sweep operation failed for the harness segement. Adjust the segment
geometry and try again.

[/quote]

I get this warning appear quite often when manipulating segments. Its a real
pain as it does not tell which part of the segment geometry is wrong!

Is there a way of knowing which point to adjust...?

Cheers,
Charlie.
Message 5 of 16
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
We are aware of this and will improve it in the future release.

Thanks,

--
Wei Li (Autodesk)

Liar, liar, pants on fire......Well here we are 5 years later and this is still an issue and has not been improved upon one single bit (or byte).. I guess future release = current release +6 or more years (sad..sad pattern at Autodesk). Attached is a simple harness and yet 5 out of the 6 wires failed to sweep properly with only a single segment. No wires show a bend violation.  Seems you have a serious problem when wires are routed into a segment and all the sweeps being so close/overlapping each other. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

I guess it's still a problem? I found this while searching for a solution.

Message 7 of 16
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess it's still a problem? I found this while searching for a solution.

Yes still a problem.. And probably will be for years to come.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

I accomplished what I wanted. I think the problem was mostly due to this part of the software being new to me. But do you know if there is a way to set the wire length such that the connector can't be moved too far away? 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Connectors are normally constained in the permanent location before creating wire runs.

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

This connector can be thought of as in the wiring run. But I can work around it.

Message 11 of 16
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

But do you know if there is a way to set the wire length such that the connector can't be moved too far away? 

You should be able to use the constraint limits functionality to accomplish that. I haven't tried it though but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Edit.. It works just don't check use offset as nesting position

Message 12 of 16
james.blakey-milner

Still waiting for this improvement...

Message 13 of 16

@james.blakey-milner 

Hi, James,

What improvement specifically are you looking for, there were several thoughts in that 17 year old post.  I'm assuming you mean being able to set the wire length?

Inventor enhancement request are usually logged in the Idea Forum, perhaps this one has been listed and you can vote for it?  If not please feel free to add it so the Inventor team can look into it.  Thank you and good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 14 of 16

The majority of Cable and Harness(C&H) is about populating a Bill of Materials with token Virtual Parts, the Virtual Parts in C&H do not exhibit the same properties as an Autodesk Virtual Part which is why I've used the term "token". https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/iv2020-cable-and-harness-virtual-parts/m-p/10931855#M8... 

Points on a segment, they're Workpoints but you cannot RMB them and select "Find in Window". [edit]Ignore this, not available for any Workpoint.[/edit]

We attach parts to geometry in the C&H environment, Heatshrink for example, when in the drawing environment and it is necessary to show where the Heatshrink is to be placed, what we have performed in the model is not available.  I have a process when documenting C&H assemblies with Balloons, when placing a Balloon, start to place the Balloon and RMB to Select "Virtual Part" then place the Balloon, next move the arrowhead to where you want the Balloon arrowhead, due to the change the Balloon has forgotten the part so now you have the arrowhead in the right place but no Item number in the Balloon, next RMB the Balloon and select "Attach from List" in order to select the Virtual Part again and have a Ballooned Item, once attached remove the empty Balloon and be happy.  We have to place Terminals from the Wire Library on Pins, it shouldn't be so difficult to place a Balloon where we have placed the Pin/Heatshrink.

Updating the Wire library breaks links to the Wire/Segment used in the model and then the Default Wire Library is used with no understanding to what was there before the update.  The Library Dialogue is too small, the Descriptions I have for the Wire we use extend beyond the Textbox length available, the Descriptions we have are defined by our ERP system and Parts Numbers and Descriptions need to match as people double check what is in the drawing against what they are supposed to have/have been given, I speculate the Dialogue box only allows for 20 characters.  The Wire Library dialogue is misleading, Name is actually the Description, why not use Description?

I hope that helps.

Message 15 of 16
SEC_CAD
in reply to: mcgyvr

The original thread was about the error "The sweep operation failed for the harness segment...". This is still a problem in 2023. I have personally wasted hours on something that should be trivial.

Clearly the spline that goes through the points has a radius below a fixed value so that the software cannot sweep the segment profile along it - it would cause a self intersecting object. But the user did not create the spline, the software did. If the spline's minimum radius is too tight then the software should automatically calculate a new spline that goes through the user points and meets the minimum radius criterion. This can be done by the software applying entry and exit tangent lines to each point so that the loop produced has an arc that is not too sharp.

The rotate point hints at being able to do this but rotating a point in a segment seems to have no effect from my experimentation.

Here is how graphic software (CorelDraw) typically handles bezier curves. Note that the spline radius is different even with the same two points being defined by the user.

SEC_CAD_0-1683266966945.pngSEC_CAD_1-1683267070152.png

Message 16 of 16
gstankovic

Yup, still a problem in 2023...so much time time wasted on something that should be a 10 sec operation...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report