Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLE LINE UP

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
methoni
580 Views, 3 Replies

HOLE LINE UP

I have drawn an assembly of parts and now wish to line up the small hole in the large shell to the projecting pipe,i thought it would be a simple task of using mates (insert aligned) but this does not let me pick on the boundary

of the small hole.

Any suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: methoni

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

This topic has been covered here many times in the past - a search might turn up the solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
methoni
in reply to: JDMather

JD
This is what I mean, how to line up the large vessel inlet hole to the pipework.
When you say part files do you mean the project or the individual parts that go to make up the assy.
Regards
Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: methoni

Maybe a pretty picture to illustrate will help.

pretty picture.png

Note the file size of the assembly *.iam file.  Note the sizes of the part *.ipt files (especially the Arbor_Frame.ipt).

The assembly file is only a list of where to find the part files to put them all together into an assemebly (and how to put them together). 

You attached only this - the instructions, (the *.iam file) you did not attach the parts (the *.ipt files) that go with the instructions (the *.iam file), so there is nothing to instruct.  Nothing for us to help you with.  I guess someone could model up some parts as an example or search here to find the previous topics on this problem (the problem is well understood).....

I'm suggesting that you attach the ipt files here.

Someone will show you the solution using your files that you will then be able to apply to any similar problem in the future.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/The-best-way-to-insert-one-tube-in-another-tube-whic...

Attach assembly shows two different techniques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report