Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ground Plane is on wrong axis

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chrischristy
4035 Views, 8 Replies

Ground Plane is on wrong axis

I am sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I did a search and couldnt find an answer. When I make an assembly, my base component that gets grounded is locked to the XZ Plane instead of XY Plane. It happens on every assembly I make. This of course cause the ground plane and ground shadows/reflections to be behind my assembly instead of underneath it. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? Preferably on all my assemblies, not just future ones I make. I am using Inventor 2011 Pro. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Chris

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
john.laidler
in reply to: chrischristy

Your default plane can be set in your Document Settings for the Assembly File.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 3 of 9
chrischristy
in reply to: john.laidler

Hmm when I go into my assembly, then click on Document Settings, then click on Modeling, then Settings under User Coordinate System, the Default Plane is set as XY. But it still has the ground plane on the XZ plane.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Hmmm, when I go into Inventor Studio Enviroment and set Scene Style I can set the Ground Plane on any of the base planes and offset further behind the assembly if needed (like if it is going right down the middle).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
chrischristy

Yup, I found that earlier for when I do a rendering. So At least when printing out stuff I have a solution. But it still shows up on wrong plane when working outside of Studio

Message 6 of 9
AdiStratulat

I did something properly using the viewcube.

Example:

1) Suppose you start sketch on XY plane, then extrude on Z axis.

2) I oriented my objects as I need: to be seen from above (top). Or any view angle you want to define as TOP.

Use "PageUp" key, then pick a face which is exactly parallel with the plane you need.

3) Right click on ViewCube - Set current view as - Top

The XY plane "became" now Ground Plane. With reflections, shadows, etc.

4) View - Appearance - Ground Plane - Settings... Here you can use Manual or Automatic adjustments for various settings.

I think this works for assembly, too.

Unfortunately I didn't find something available for Application. Still need to be done for every new document.

Adrian Stratulat
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 9
AdiStratulat
in reply to: JDMather

Do you think this one bellow could be a solution?

"I did something properly using the viewcube.

Example:

1) Suppose you start sketch on XY plane, then extrude on Z axis.

2) I oriented my objects as I need: to be seen from above (top). Or any view angle you want to define as TOP.

Use "PageUp" key, then pick a face which is exactly parallel with the plane you need.

3) Right click on ViewCube - Set current view as - Top

The XY plane "became" now Ground Plane. With reflections, shadows, etc.

4) View - Appearance - Ground Plane - Settings... Here you can use Manual or Automatic adjustments for various settings.

I think this works for assembly, too.

Unfortunately I didn't find something available for Application. Still need to be done for every new document."

I need your opinion

Thanks

Adrian Stratulat

Adrian Stratulat
Message 8 of 9
jeanchile
in reply to: AdiStratulat

Sound like you need to change your view cube settings in your template files to be what you want. Then it should come in correctly every time you use your templates (XY Plane with a positive Z). I'm pretty sure that's what we did and it has worked fine ever since. It's been a few years since we did it though.

Good Luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 9 of 9
AdiStratulat
in reply to: jeanchile

I have the same settings as yours for Viewcube, but the ground plane is initial shown aligned with XZ plane (when I start a new Part and check View - Ground Plane).

So, I aIigned the view with the FRONT view on Viewcube, then I choose "Set Current View As"- TOP.

The ground plane will be displayed aligned with XY. And then remain that way, regardless the settings in Viewcube - Options).

This is the fastest method found until now.

Adrian Stratulat

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report