Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gripe about the Orbit tool in 2013

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DATUM88
981 Views, 7 Replies

Gripe about the Orbit tool in 2013

In the past versions of Inventor that I have used, I have always right clicked and selected "done" in order to exit out of the orbit tool. It is such muscle memory that I can exit the tool in a fraction of a second to select something else. It has become integrated into my work flow.

In 2013 however, If I accidently left click, BEFORE right clicking, (putting both buttons down simultaneously for a second) the obit tool disapears and enters into some sort of alternate, sloppy orbit mode that cannot be exited by right clicking. It drives me insane to have to interupt what im doing to reach for the escape key which then ussually returns me to a different angle of the model, causing me to have to get the orbit again and reposition the model all over.

Can anybody explain what this "mode" is even for? It dosnt seem to have any logical use considering it is entered after the orbit tool is selected. Can I turn this off???

Thanks

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jingyi.liu
in reply to: DATUM88

Regarding your question, I thought it was Marking menu that you haven't get used of.

To disable marking menu, you can go to Tools Tab-->Customize-->Marking Menu, then check the option "use classic context menu",  of course, you can also customize the marking menu as you want.

To orbit model, I prefer to use shortkeys( F4+LMB, or Shift+MMB) to orbit the model, it's more convenient than click the Orbit command , because you can exit out just unpress these buttons.

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Message 3 of 8
NicolasXu

Hi DATUM88,

Are you encountering this issue when releasing left mouse button AFTER right clicking? It seems there is some problem but I'm not sure if it's the same as what you saw.

Jingyi raised a point that it might be caused by marking menu, you could have a try. And there is another way to exit the Orbit tool by just a single clicking. - See attached picture, moving the cursor out of the circle, and clicking when there is a Left Arrow icon.

Thanks,

Nicolas

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 8
DATUM88
in reply to: NicolasXu

Thanks for the quick responses!

Yeah it occurs after releasing both buttons, but left click FIRST (an error I commonly make when clicking to exit fast). While the orbit tool is active, left click and then right click, breifly hold both buttons and then release. At this point my entire screen orbits and follows my curser...though just now I noticed that If I LEFT click durring this, it brings back the ordinary orbit. I would still like to understand what this is though.

As far as the marking menu is concerned, I dont think it's related, however durring this orbit function, a button appears that says "home view" if I right click. 

I'm aware of the alternate ways to enter and exit the tool, I just perfer to use my mouse hand only for most of what I do so I'm really just sort of "set in my ways" and would rather not have to change haha

Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr

Whats an orbit tool ? Smiley Tongue

Get a 3d connexion 3d controller (spacepilot/space navigator,etc..).. Best money you have EVER spent..

You WILL be faster with it..You won't find a single user that doesn't love them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
DATUM88

^^The above tool looks like an amazing work weapon....but I still want an explanation to this seemingly useless and annoying "malfunction" of inventor 13.

Message 7 of 8
NicolasXu

Hi DATUM88,

Thanks for bringing this issue out. I have confirmed and reported it into our internal tracking system. And as I tested, Inventor 2012 has the similar behavior as 2013. I will ask development team to look into it.

Here are the steps I tested:

Press left mouse button down (don't release it) -> Press right mouse button down -> Release the left mouse button -> Release the right mouse button. 

If you have any further information related to this, please don't hesitate to post here.

Thanks,

Nicolas

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 8
timdown73

Mcgyvr is right!  Get yourself a 3D mouse.  It will improve your workflow 10 fold.  It takes about a day to get used to it, so don't get to frustrated with it right away.  Once you get it set, you won't know how you lived without it. You'll never have to click orbit again.

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report