Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Rojs
896 Views, 9 Replies

Graphics card

I will buy a new graphics card to my workstation.

Any recommendations if I use autodesk inventor much with large assemblys?

Max price 200-250 dollar.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
camilo.lemos
in reply to: Rojs

Hi Rojs, 

I won't recomend any specific cards but I would just like to suggest that you have a look at the supported and recommended graphics cards for Inventor before going ahead with your purchase.

This tool can help you easily visualize the recommended and certified cards for your version of Inventor (select the Graphics Hardware option and fill in the form).

Best regards,

Camilo Lemos

Message 3 of 10
Rojs
in reply to: camilo.lemos
Message 4 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: Rojs

@Rojs wrote:

I found this

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-5.html

Looks like a good list.. (personally a good graphics card in the $4-500 range is what I would pick.. Something like the GTX 680) There is NO need for expensive Quadro or FireGL cards anymore.. Just get a good quality "gamer" type graphics card. 

I'd highly suggest NOT going by the outdated list provided by Autodesk.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 10
MikahB
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

...I'd highly suggest NOT going by the outdated list provided by Autodesk.. 

Agree 1000%.  Pretty ridiculuous that I just used their "tool" and it only returned OpenGL cards in the list.  Generation listed as 2011.  Hmmm... maybe time to update your recommendations Autodesk??

FWIW - I'm running Product Design Suite on an ASUS GTX670 and it runs great.  I got the 4GB version but if I had it to do again I'd get a GTX680 with 2GB as I never use all my video RAM.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 6 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: MikahB

Consider the number of OpenGL cards out there, and the different driver versions, and how long it would take to test them all.  Now consider the number of gaming cards and *their* drivers.  I'm not sure *anybody* could keep a reasonably sized up-to-date list of Inventor-certified gaming cards.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 10
MikahB
in reply to: dgorsman

Agreed, which is why it's a little disingenuous for Autodesk to offer a tool purporting to represent said "reasonably up-to-date" list.  And, the fact that the list does not include a single DirectX card seems like more than a minor oversight.

I suspect the whole concept of an "Autodesk Certified" graphics card has outlived its usefulness - apparently that happened in 2011 according to Autodesks list!

@dgorsman wrote:

Consider the number of OpenGL cards out there, and the different driver versions, and how long it would take to test them all.  Now consider the number of gaming cards and *their* drivers.  I'm not sure *anybody* could keep a reasonably sized up-to-date list of Inventor-certified gaming cards.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 8 of 10
mpatchus
in reply to: mcgyvr

Completely agree!  I have been using a good gaming card in my personal box and it outperforms my office machine with the expensive Quadro card.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 9 of 10
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mpatchus

Hey, I've got 2008-vintage gaming cards in my personal machine at home, and they're doing great with Inventor 2014, whether or not I enable Crossfire.  My 4870's are only 512 MB cards!

They do just as well - if not better - than the Quadro in my workstation at the office.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I moved away from Quadro cards about 5-6 years ago. Shortly after the move from OpenGL to D3D in Inventor. Now just a good fast "Gaming" card will do.

All that's required is "Microsoft - Certified" drivers now.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report