Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from SW to Inventor - Intersection Curve

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
461 Views, 4 Replies

Going from SW to Inventor - Intersection Curve

New Inventor user here.

In an assembly I would like to use one part (an enclosure) to drive another part (a base for the enclosure). In SW I would use an Intersection Curve to create my sketch and the base would be driven by the enclosure geometry. Project Geometry is not applicable in this case because it is intersecting geometry.

In Inventor I have found the Project Cut Edges feature will create the geometry, but it is not associative between parts. Using one part of an assembly to drive another is something I do a lot.

How can I accomplish this type of assembly workflow in Inventor?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

While editing dependant part use the Copy Object to copy geometry from the driving part (I usually copy only surfaces needed.)

Attach simple assembly here if you can't figure it out.

Is there a reason you are not using multi-body solids instead (much easier in my opinion)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I'm trying it with multi body part right now. Is that the preferred workflow for assembly associativity in Inventor? I have used the mulit body workflow in SW before. Some call it "Master Model". The multi body part is created and an assembly is created from the multi body part. In the case of an enclosure and base assembly, this would be acceptable workflow.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Multi-body is easy to learn and a robust techinque.  You do end up with one extra Master file.  But who cares - makes it easy to edit in one location and put it all on one folder.  In the end - all 1s and 0s to the computer.

When you get done go to Manage tab>Make Components to push out the individual part files and the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I am experimenting with Copy Components. I would like to copy just the inner surfaces and create my new part geometry from those surfaces. How do I copy just the surfaces?

I am using Inventor 2013.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report