Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get BOM to Merge On Stock Number

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
matt_jlt
1182 Views, 6 Replies

Get BOM to Merge On Stock Number

Is there any way to get the BOM to merge using something other than the Part Number. It seems as though it is the only option for merging the rows. I would like to use the stock number as the key.

Thanks, Matt.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Nicolas.Bourquin
in reply to: matt_jlt

Hello,

You could try to insert for example a “parts only” BOM (parts list) in an idw file.

Double click on the BOM >> Column Chooser >> Select “Stock Number” property >> Add >> OK

Click on “Stock Number” cell (select the entire column) >> Right Mouse Button >> Group Setting >> Activate “Group” >> First Key “Select “Browser properties” >> select “Stock Number” >> ok

O1: Here you can keep the both options selected and you receive an additional line merging all the Stock Number identical.

O2: If you unselect “display group participant” => only the line with the merged “stock number” items is displayed

For additional information, here is the online wikihelp link:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=REDIRECT_IDD_BOM_GROUP_SETTINGS&language=ENU&release=...

I hope that will help you

Please, mark any response clicking on "Accept as Solution" button if it answers your question 

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 3 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: Nicolas.Bourquin

Nicholas,

This may serve depending on what the OP is trying to do, but this is in the parts list... not the BOM.

To anser the original question, a BOM may only be mergen with Part Number.  However, depending on what exactly you're trying to show... there are ways to force it to do what you want using expressions.

Can you past an image, or example of what you'd like to show?

Message 4 of 7
matt_jlt
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks for the quick replies,

Chris is right, I was talking about the BOM, not the parts list. I was just hoping to get the BOM to merge using the stock number instead of the part number. As both of these proeprties are used for other things and cannot be changed, it looks as though I have my answer.

Thanks Guys.

Message 5 of 7
BLHDrafting

This is the exact context of a request made to the beta testing forums. But no definite yes/no answer from the developers.

I would love to have control over which column the BOM merged rows on, and in my case Stock Number would be it.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Brendan,

If you're in a beta testing forum... you really ought not be revealing anything you've seen there....  just sayin... that being said, this idea has been in the idea station forum (which is an open forum), for a while.

Message 7 of 7
cbenner

@matt_jlt wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies,

Chris is right, I was talking about the BOM, not the parts list. I was just hoping to get the BOM to merge using the stock number instead of the part number. As both of these proeprties are used for other things and cannot be changed, it looks as though I have my answer.

Thanks Guys.

There still may be a way, but it sounds like it may be harder since you're using those properties in other places.  In our frame BOM's we tweaked Part Number to use an expression, allowing us to merge it and show the results we were after.  Then for the parts list, we put the ACTUAL part number in an unused property, and simply changed the column header to part number.  If it sounds like this woulr work for you let me know, I have a blog post that would give you the lowdown on how we did it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report