Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometry not updating after replacing a component in assembly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
419 Views, 5 Replies

Geometry not updating after replacing a component in assembly

I have geometry not updating after replacing a component in an assembly.

I have drawn part A and in the assembly environment I have projected cut edges on a XY Plane in a 2D Sketch.

After replacing component A in the assembly with part B (not identical but very close) i was expecting the projected geometry to update. But it doesn't. The "local update" button is greyed out in assembly mode. also the Rebuild command does not seem to update the projected geometry.

I can see the new 3d shape and the old projected geometry. Can anyone point me in the right direction how to get the projected geometry to update?

Many Thanks

Corné 

Inventor 2013 Build 176 SP1.1

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

It never will as by design. Part A is the part that had the geometry projecting on to it from another part in the assembly. It is only adaptive within the context of this assembly. If you place part A in another assembly it won't be adaptive in that assembly until it had geometry projected on to it as well.

You may want to attach the IPT's and IAM file as well so we can see exactly what you are doing.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair, 

Some more info on what I want to achieve. We are a marine design company and part of our day to day work is to design a Hull (vessel) and engineer the metal structure ( like bulkheads or frames). The hull shape (surface) comes from 3party software (Maxsurf). After importing this hull surface (IGES) into Inventor, we draw in the transverse structure by extracting the transverse hull shape using "project cut edges". I have attached an assembly file in which a have done this once. Normally the hull has transverse structrure every 1m. The transverse curve will then be used to sweep a section along to create a transverse frame. 

Question, if at some point during the design stage the hull shape changes, I would like to replace the hull surface with the new hull shape and have the inventor assembly update the transverse frames.

I have attached Hull 1.ipt, Hull 2.ipt, Frame A.ipt & Assembly Frames.iam

The Hull files show only the port side of the vessel as the vessel is symmetrical. Hull 2 is slighly tweaked version of hull 1 with an exaggerated hollow at -20m. After replacing Hull 1 with Hull 2 in the assembly i would expect the projected edge of Frame A to update to the new shape.    

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

AND FILE #4

Message 5 of 6
blair

As soon as you replace a part, you loose the adaptive, as in my earlier post.

Think of it as an engine. You have a engine with a 130mm bore for the cylinders. If you created the cylinders using the that engine bore as a projected sketch for the diameter of the piston. If you changed the engine bore the piston would change. 

Now you delete/remove the block from the IAM file, all the connectivity of the block to the pistons is lost. Inserting a new block in the model won't change the piston size as all the connectivity information to the old engine block has been lost.

I don't know of any way to make this work.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Thanks for your help and quick replies Blair.

I understand the limitations of adaptive but we were explained by the autodesk sales rep. and inventor instructor (course) that it was possible to achieve this in inventor. They did not explain how though. I turned this forum to find a solution how to achieve this, as the method described above (replace component in assembly) does not work. And you have confirmed this.

In the meantime I have asked a colleague to perform these tasks in Solidworks and he successfully replaced the hull in the assembly with the geometry updating automatically following the same steps.
So I still have hope we can achieve this in Inventor.
Can anybody confirm Blair's reply that I am looking at a dead end here to get this to work in Inventor?
Or any other ways of achieving this in inventor?
Would using a program like ALIAS to bring the IGES into Inventor be of any help?
Really desperate to use The Product Design Suite for our hull design.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report