Inventor General

UpnorthSouth
Message 1 of 8 (332 Views)

General Table

332 Views, 7 Replies
05-18-2012 11:50 AM

I am not a regular user of the Inventor General Table. I can make and edit the table with no problems. I want to

eliminate the lines from one of the columns while leaving the lines in the remaining columns. I tried to set up the

column before inserting it but could not find the column format that would allow me to do that in the Style Editor.

Would anybody happen to know how to do this. I need to also remove the (read only) from the Style Editor.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 2 of 8 (326 Views)

Re: General Table

05-18-2012 11:57 AM in reply to: UpnorthSouth

Can you post an image of what you are looking to do?  I know the capabilities of editing the tables are

somewhat limited.

Another thought would be to create the table in excel then use the insert object to bring it in.

This way when you go to edit it it will resort back to Excel.

As far as permissions to the styles editor, I was not aware that there were permissions for it.

Are you an admin to your  PC?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 8 (318 Views)

05-18-2012 12:50 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

Do you work with Nick or something?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Hide-Cell-Borders-in-Table-driven-by-Excel/td-p/3463...

and no..It should be called the "Way to General Table" because its so very basic there is almost nothing "fancy" or even close to fancy you can do..

Use Excel and then select all the cells and copy in excel then "paste special" into Inventor.. Beware there are many limitations to that too.. Like you can only insert smaller tables or Inventor will just insert garbage.. (Its a microsoft issue..some OLE limitation)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 4 of 8 (310 Views)

05-18-2012 01:08 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

Cadmanto wrote:

As far as permissions to the styles editor, I was not aware that there were permissions for it.

Are you an admin to your  PC?

You can set it as Read Only or Read/Write in a particular project file.  It's not really much of a security thing, since if you can modify the project file you can change it to read/write any time you want.  Seems to be more for just reducing accidental changes.

John Tyler
Inventor 2013
Windows 7 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 5 of 8 (303 Views)

05-18-2012 01:39 PM in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the info.  Since I am an admin and ours is set to read/write (beforee I even started here) that is probably why I never knew it existed.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 6 of 8 (296 Views)

05-18-2012 02:28 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

I don't bother with it at my current company (all set to Read/Write), but at my former employer I had them all set to Read Only except for mine and one other person.  This was simply to reduce the possibility of people making unauthorized changes.

Wouldn't have been hard to get around if they knew what they were doing, but they didn't.  Which, of course, was why I didn't want them poking around in the library in the first place.  Kind of nice how that worked out.

John Tyler
Inventor 2013
Windows 7 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 7 of 8 (287 Views)

05-18-2012 03:41 PM in reply to: UpnorthSouth

I so hear ya!!!

Like I said I am an admin as well setting up the standards and templates and I am glad you brought this to my attention.

We are fairly new as a company with Inventor/vault so we might get to this point as well.

I am going to use this as the ace in the back pocket kind of thing.  :smileywink:

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Contributor
gaitano
Message 8 of 8 (245 Views)

05-20-2012 12:59 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

I was able to resolve my problem by copying from an Excel Table and using Paste Special (Linked) in Inventor

to insert the table. It did not solve dealing with the general table issue but I find it is very limited. The ReadOnly

problem I had with the Styles Editor was resolved by going into projects and resetting the ReadOnly to ReadWrite.

Thank You for taking time out to respond to my issues.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube