Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gears Profile Shift

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ericjed13
2512 Views, 5 Replies

Gears Profile Shift

Hello there!

Is there an engineer here that knows gear profile shift?

I'd like to know of Inventor already has this considered when designing their gears on design accelerator.

Thank you. 🙂 

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: ericjed13

I don't know the answer to your question, but most gears are purchased off-the-shelf from gear manufacturers who have experience in gear design.

Will you be manufacturing these or will this be a purchased part?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
karthur1

Are you talking about backlash allowance?  If yes, then Inventor does allow for this when you export the tooth shape. 

2013-01-17_1026.png

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1 (update1)
Vault Basic 2013

Message 4 of 6
ericjed13
in reply to: karthur1

Hey, thanks for the response.

I'm talking about addendum modification. We design our own gears at our company. We take a standard gear and apply profile shift (aka addendum modification) to customized it.

Does inventor also has this function?

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

@ericjed13 wrote:

. We design our own gears at our company. We take a standard gear and apply profile shift (aka addendum modification) to customized it.

Does inventor also has this function?

If you design your own gears you can control your custom profiles with iPart/iLogic.
How much experience do you have with Inventor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
SKinzel

My company is also a gear manufacturer and I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with the way the gear design portion of Inventor does things.  To me it is combursome and the options under Design Guide seem overly restrictive.  There is profile shift in the calculations but it is called Unit Correction and you have to select the proper option for these values to be editable.

One thing that may or may not be an issue for you if you model helical gear teeth.  When you go to make a drawing for that gear your cross sections aren't gonig to look like most gear drawings which don't show "literal" cross sections of a helical gear.  You also may have some issues trying to dimension the OD of the gear since it may not be avaialbe in some views depending upon tooth space location.  Also, as far as I can tell there is no way for Inventor to model hob run out.  It can be easily faked if you are doing spur gears but helical teeth make modeling the hob run out more tricky. 

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report