Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funky constraint redundancies

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sathersc23
565 Views, 4 Replies

Funky constraint redundancies

Hi all,

I'm running into a weird "redundant constraint" in a major sub-assembly of the suspensions we design here. I'm not sure if this is problematic, but we're working on ferreting out the root causes of our CAD models exploding/continuous edited out of turn errors (a big Vault issue) and I'm far from convinced the constraint solver is where we need it to be for our designs.

If someone can take a look at the attached and tell me:

A) Why do we get these redundancy errors? 

B) Could they cause inconsistent behavior as this sub-assembly is reused?

C) What concerns are there with Inventor (2012 for now) leaving degrees of freedom open to be defined in later assemblies?

Being that we design suspensions, and we're frequently doing layouts, clearance studies, packaging studies, swapping parts in and out, changing part profiles, and the where-used on parts is often in the 100's of instances we leave our sub-assemblies as loosely defined as possible to mimmick real life behavior. Even if we wanted to, positional representations fall far short of the sort of versatility we need out of our models.

I'd appreciate any help and advice I can get to get our CAD system to where we need it to be.

Thanks!

-Sam

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Paul-Mason
in reply to: sathersc23

Are the parts as shown/causing the redundant constraint custom content center parts?

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 3 of 5
sathersc23
in reply to: Paul-Mason

No, these are all parts we've modeled and saved in our regular working folder. I have also gone through and ensured there are no open sketches or free constraints in any of the sub-assemblies as well. I've checked everything out, updated it, rebuilt it, rebuilt it again, and carefully saved it back in the Vault.

Basically as I'm going about building this assembly I am trying to baseline the softwares capability with our product. I'm trying to cross every t, dot every i, edit, and re-edit everything to prove out the software.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Message 4 of 5
JDMather

(see Post 8 in this thread)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/IS-INVENTOR-REALLY-USEFUL/m-p/1332811/highlight/true...

To really answer your question I think would require an on-site evaluation of your techniques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
sathersc23

Post 8 is a good read for new hires, and I will certainly pass that along. I've certainly brought some of the same mindset to our company here when I joined 18 months ago. 

However, I've been designing suspensions since 2006, using SolidEdge and Solid Works both before Inventor. I've never had nearly the fits I have with Inventor on assemblies I've designed (or in this case audited) from scratch. Part of it is tying in with Autodesk Vault and locking all the files down. We end up with a lot of out of date assemblies we're working on resolving as sub-assemblies are updated and released (updating the assemblies at release is not realistic for our group).

There's something fundamentally different about the ShapeModeler constraint solver from ParaSolid, and I've been trying to find enough documentation on it to explain what it is. I've seen ShapeModeler literally try to break apart solid sub-assemblies to move them into position for a mate in a higher level assembly.

As I'm rebuilding CAD files in our library here, I'm instituing as many best practices as I can into the models and assemblies. However, I appreciate as many tips, tricks, best practice notes, etc. as I can get. Please keep passing them along.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report