Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full assembly models vs. dummy assembly models

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
902 Views, 2 Replies

Full assembly models vs. dummy assembly models

I have always been of the opinion that you should work with full models when designing.  I feel that computers have come far enough that server space/computer memory is no longer the issue it was when 3d modeling was in its infancy. I have some co-workers who feel that modeling should never be done with full models and that "dummy" files (simplified versions of the actual parts) should be used.  I get the argument I suppose, but with advancements in shrinkwrap technology and computer technology why would anyone still use this form of modeling when you could be using the actual model??? 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Are they perhaps incapable of creating full models?

How much training using Shrinkwrap LOD have they had?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I should have added -

if the geometric features are not needed for manufacturing, assembly interferrence checks and such - then it might not be necessary to model these details.  For example, we use cosmetic threads rather than cut threads as the convention for simplified threads in 2D views are standard and understood.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report