Inventor General

Message 11 of 21 (155 Views)

Re: Frame generator notching/unfolding issues

11-18-2013 06:08 PM in reply to: sailah

JD, 

I traced your steps in the part you sent and tried it on my own.  I saw you put a circle on the ID of the tube, a construction line from center point to outside of circle, and another construction circle as the OD.  I got the part to rip and unfold, so thanks!!

Then I decided I would get fancy and tried it on a part with both ends notched.  Fail.  Is it possible?

*Expert Elite*
Message 12 of 21 (143 Views)

11-18-2013 08:17 PM in reply to: sailah

I did not see any attempt in your file.

See attached for one "solution".

If you need a very precise template then the Thicken of a surface body will be required.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Message 13 of 21 (134 Views)

11-19-2013 03:27 AM in reply to: JDMather

JD

I tried to trace back through what you did but it's way over my head at this point.  I think it'll be faster to use an endmill and grinder and make the part fit on the jig than to try and make templates for every tube.

I appreciate all your efforts, maybe I can revisit it in time after I get more experience.

Thanks

Peter

Distinguished Contributor
Message 14 of 21 (129 Views)

11-19-2013 03:59 AM in reply to: sailah

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

But, once you get it right you can use it forever, and prototyping etc. in Inventor is 1000% faster. It will give you an output that will put you in a different league.

I've spent many days and nights figuring out workflows for projects, starting over and over and it is worth it. :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
Message 15 of 21 (121 Views)

11-19-2013 04:53 AM in reply to: sailah

If you are still around I can explain what I did (it was really quite simple once you know the trick).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 16 of 21 (120 Views)

11-19-2013 04:53 AM in reply to: BarryZA

Barry,

Totally agree, it's been a steep learning curve, and I think I need to get some more practice time in before I start trying techniques.  Problem is this isn't even close to work related so my spare time to devote to learning a complex program is limited.  I can draw small brackets and such easily, and mostly export the face right to the waterjet machine to cut parts.  That I have gotten very good at.  But a large tube chassis is for sure my most ambitious project to date.

I'm just very clumsy and slow and it takes forever to learn what you all do so quickly.  Analogies abound about practice making perfect.  Just finding the time to devote.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.  And I do plan to keep at this tube ripping thing.  I just spent hours trying last night and kept failing.  I'm not the most patient person in the world too haha.  Then JD swoops in with fix after fix, I finally had to back away as my computer almost got ventilated lol.

Peter

Message 17 of 21 (111 Views)

11-19-2013 05:04 AM in reply to: JDMather

JD 

I'm still here and very willing to learn.  I saw you had created a lot of work planes in that part, I'm slowly learning how/why I need work planes especially on parts that don't have planar surfaces.  But I'm still very clumsy and slow at it and struggle to pick the right work plane to use.

Thanks for your repeated patience with me.

Peter

*Expert Elite*
Message 18 of 21 (94 Views)

11-19-2013 08:46 AM in reply to: sailah

I did not create any workplanes.

Those were created by the Frame Generator when you were trimming/mitering or whatever.

I tried to do a Rip feature, but could not get that to work.

So I manually did the same thing that rip does.

When you roll up a flat to cylinder the faces form a pie shape.

In the file I attached earlier I made the angle for the pie wedge very small.

In this attached file I increased the angle for the pie wedge and left the sketch (I named Rip Sketch) visible so that you can clearly see what I did.

Project Geometry the edge of the pipe.

Create horizontal construction line.

Create angled line.

Mirror the angled line to the other side.

Dimension the angle (make very small for reduced Gap Size).

Split the part with the wedge.

Message 19 of 21 (86 Views)

11-19-2013 10:01 AM in reply to: JDMather

JD,

I'm getting there... I followed your model and built the pie wedge.  And successfully unrolled it.  So then I decided to try again and drew up a quick wireframe and built it out using frame generator, same ANSI 3/4" pipe I did the others from.  Notched it.  Then I open the individual part.  Good so far.  Drew my pie shape.  There were these "tags" lef over from the notch so I used delete faces and removed them.

Then I ran into an error message preventing me from going to sheet metal.  See attached screen shot.

I'm doing my best to not go to the shop and get a BFH...

Mentor
graemev
Message 20 of 21 (83 Views)

11-19-2013 10:08 AM in reply to: sailah

Watch out with the Unfold tool if you're intending to make paper wrap-arounds for marking the tubing.  As I understand them, the sheetmetal tools unfold using the K-factor as determined by the material setup and will likely generate a pattern profile geometrically appropriate for somewhere in the middle of the material, not at its outer surface.

I have template generating files for doing exactly what you intend.  (Both end cut and trunk port.)  We use them here for piping spools - laterals, wyes, and tees, reducing or otherwise - and plot them on roller-bed plotters for the boys in the shop to transfer onto the pipe trunks and branches.  The files are parameter driven, including wall thickness, to yield the outer surface profile of the intersection and the projected inner surface intersection.  They are also marked with centerlines to denote where the branch centerline meets the trunk outer surface and also the centerline-centerline location usually dimensioned on piping isometric layouts.  This allows some judgement on behalf of the fitter to determine where and how to manage weld bevels and avoid the wafer thin pointy bits of size-on-size intersections.  The trunk port template generates the intersection of the interior of the branch meeting the exterior of the trunk, as would be cut for stub-on type fit up.

PM me if you'd like a copy.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube