Inventor General

sailah
Message 1 of 21 (398 Views)
Accepted Solution

Frame generator notching/unfolding issues

398 Views, 20 Replies
11-18-2013 12:06 PM

Hi,

Please forgive my rookie status here, just learning Inventor 2014.  I have gotten the basics and am looking to draw up a mtorcycle frame based on dimensions I have in the shop.  I'm just playing around at this point and sketched a trellis frame and used 3/4" ANSI pipe for the tubes.  In reality I will be using 1" DOM 0.065" wall tubing.

I notched a couple of the tubes and can isolate/open those individual parts.  I have (tried to) follow a couple tutorials on how to "unfold" or rip the notched tube so that I can print out a template, wrap it around the tube and cut/cope it in the shop.

I keep getting an error message saying it can't rip it.  Now I drew a tube myself in another part file just by extruding a couple circles and it ripped that just fine, and would unfold it.

Is it the ANSI profile I am using from CC?  Is it because it is notched?

To be honest I couldn't follow the steps in the following http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Unfold-a-tube/td-p/3168764

I tried to thicken the part, fail haha.  I'm not sure what I should be doing here.  I can thicken it fine, but then I can't "delete face solid lump"

Again, sorry about the beginner question I'm really starting from the bottom here

Mentor
BarryZA
Message 2 of 21 (391 Views)

Re: Frame generator notching/unfolding issues

11-18-2013 12:49 PM in reply to: sailah
Unfold is only available in the sheet metal environment and does not overlap into FG. New Part - sketch your profile- convert to sheet metal, set your thickness, proceed and then add your rip.
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 21 (389 Views)

11-18-2013 12:54 PM in reply to: sailah

Try this one.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
sailah
Message 4 of 21 (370 Views)

11-18-2013 02:24 PM in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Yes thanks I downloaded the part and was able to unwrap it easily.  So I guess the question is how do I get from my part to the one you created?  I will be creating probably 25 of these parts so understanding how to do it is important to me.

What I can do:

• I can open each part in standard.
  • I can click the "convert to sheetmetal".  I do get a message telling me to ensure that the part is of uniform thickness.  So I have been going into sheet metal thickness and manually setting the thickness to 0.065".  Not sure if this is correct method

I seem to have the most trouble with the "thickening" of the part and that stalls everything else out.

• why am I doing that?
  • which direction do I thicken?  The OD of the tube is the most critical.
  • Can I somehow get a steel structure in steel tubing?  I looked and anything in ANSI seems to be pipe only.  Ideally I would like to author a steel tube myself, but when I get to the author dialogue box with an extruded tube I made it doesn't play nice with me. Of course if I am missing a stock tube in CC, that would be much easier.

Once I get the part "thickened", which i can do, it just makes the whole part thicker and I can't seem to delete lump anything.

I know these are basic questions and I appreciate the time to help me, thanks

This is basically what I am shooting to create

Peter

sailah
Message 5 of 21 (364 Views)

11-18-2013 02:30 PM in reply to: BarryZA

Barry,

Thanks I'm slowly working my way into this.  I am trying to create a tube chassis that I will build from 0.75, 1 & 1.25" OD tubing.  Fortunately I'm better at fabricating metal than using computers.  I attached a file to teh above post to show essentially what I want to do.

I was under the impression that frame generator was the best method to do this, but I defer to anyones expertise here.  I am slowly learning to draw lines in 2 planes and then intersect them to create a 3d line.  I can then sweep those lines to do the same thing, but if I ever have t go back and change things, it seems that would be very cumbersome to change.

I have the engine and most of the important bits jigged up on a table, the engine I plan to have 3d scanned.   Building and sketching a wireframe that included the important pickup points would be great.  The I could simply point and click where I wanted 3/4" tubing and others where I want 1".  But to be able to quickly modify a "base" wireframe would be very helpful.  

All this Inventor stuff is so new, I come form learning Rhino about 10 years ago and it is an eye opener for sure how powerful these new programs are.

Thanks again for the helpful posts.

Peter

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 6 of 21 (354 Views)

11-18-2013 02:38 PM in reply to: sailah
One of the problems with Sheet-Metal, is when you cut the material at an angle to the surface. This will cause Inventor to throw up the thickness error. All cuts under the current releases of Inventor must have the sheet-metal cut 90 deg to the surface. You can't have a cut that tapers out to a point or sharp edge.
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
sailah
Message 7 of 21 (345 Views)

11-18-2013 03:03 PM in reply to: blair

Blair, so if I understand, the sharp edge of my part is what is creating the error, thus the need to thicken the part and create a part with no draft?  If that is correct makes sense.  So now I need to figure out how to create that thickened part and unfold it...

Thanks

Peter

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 8 of 21 (339 Views)

11-18-2013 03:31 PM in reply to: sailah

sailah wrote:

What I can do:

been going into sheet metal thickness and manually setting the thickness to 0.065".  

The part you attached does not have a wall thickness of 0.065" ( I measured 0.113" - that is what you need to set as your sheet metal style thickness).

You do not need to use Thicken feature technique, your template does not need to be precise at the cut edge (perpendicular to face).

Once you figure out the process you will then need to learn to edit the Frame Generator library to add the tube profile of your actual tube (I am assuming it is not already there, since you didn't use it for this example).

Hollar back if you still can't figure out what I did.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 9 of 21 (335 Views)

11-18-2013 03:40 PM in reply to: sailah
Yes, as long as the edge is perpendicular to the face you are fine.
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
sailah
Message 10 of 21 (329 Views)

11-18-2013 03:51 PM in reply to: sailah
Jd, sorry you are correct I used 0.113" as that part I posted was using ansi pipe. I did figure out how to post a new steel tube to content center.

I'll horse around with the part you did and see if I can figure out the procedure. The parts in the future will have both ends notched if that matters.

Thanks as usual

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube