Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame analysis Stress Formula

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
johnster100
3140 Views, 5 Replies

Frame analysis Stress Formula

Hi There,

I've been using the frame analysis formula in inventor to design some shipping frames. I often get a very High Smax value when I look at my results. From what i can see Inventor seems to sum Bending (in X and Y) and axial stress to give this value. Does anyone know the exact formula they use?

thanks,

warrellsy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
garytang
in reply to: johnster100

Hi warrellsy,

You are right, the formula is Smax = Smax(Mx) + Smax(My) + Saxial. This is common formula for generic shape which calculates worst possible stress.

Another situation is when Export to Autodesk Robot Stress Analysis (ARSA) is used. ARSA is able to map most of Inventor sections to ARSA sections and therefore use shape specific formulas. E.g. round sections should be calculated by formula Smax = sqrt(Smax(My)^2 + Smax(Mz)^2) + Saxial.

Similarly Smin = Smin(Mx) + Smin(My) - Saxial

Regards,

Jan Vonasek

Autodesk Inc.

Message 3 of 6
Vikas.Patel
in reply to: johnster100

Hei

Can you please explain your theory for Smax i have got in my analysis.

check atteched picture

Thank you in advance.

beam 23.JPG

Vikas

Message 4 of 6
HarryP108
in reply to: garytang

This is clearly incorrect, unless I need to go to grade school maths class again.

I recently analysed a frame and had a frame that showed Smax(Mx) = 326.9 MPa, Smax (My) = 370.2 MPa and Saxial = 0 MPa.

Smax = 370.2 MPa;  not 697.1 MPa.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: HarryP108

Hi Paul,

Frame Analysis isn't FEA. It uses simple geometry and kinematic relationship to come up with the analysis in 3D. The formula Gary mentioned here is to cover worst case scenario. If you want accurate stress analysis, you need to use FEA (Inventor Stress Analysis or Inventor NASTRAN).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
HarryP108
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'm aware of that. I was referring to - and using - Frame Analysis.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report