Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator only works on curves?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
stevec781
1696 Views, 6 Replies

Frame Generator only works on curves?

I have a custom librbay of U shapes and I can only apply them to cuves or curved edges.  If I try and apply a frame to a straight edge or straight sketch line I get a perfect preview but when I press OK I get the unknown error box.  This is the only one of my custom libraries that is doing this.  They were all created the same way.

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening

2011 64 SP0

Thanks

Steve

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bobvdd
in reply to: stevec781

Could you attach the iPart used for your U shape library?

Alternatively could you save  a copy of the family in a new writeable library and post the resulting idcl file here?

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 7
stevec781

Heres the ipart file used to make the library.

Message 4 of 7
bobvdd

I don't see anything wrong with it. I published it and inserted it with this as a result.

Did you try to republish it under a different family name to se if it is any better?

1106i516844C81921BB99

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 5 of 7
stevec781

yes I tried re-publishing using different key columns and changing fields etc and no luck.  Each time it previews but wont generate and the error dialog gives no idea of why.  Ended up modelling as a normal extrude.

Message 6 of 7
bobvdd
in reply to: bobvdd

I did find a peculiar problem with your iPart after all but not in the Frame Generator environment itself.

I see problems when bringing the frame assembly into the Frame Analysis calculator and I could track the problem down to the fact that the iPart you used to create the Frame family has its section sketch sitting on the YZ plane.

When you use the YZ plane for your Frame family definitions, the Frame analysis module cannot place its wireframe model correctly on the beams. See below image. The blue line and green dots normally line up along the beam, in this case not.

So I would defintely check to see of your other iParts were created from the XY plane, meaning that the Channel.ipt is the odd-one out and causing the problem because it was created from the YZ plane.

I logged this in our defect tracking system under number 1354439.

1146i82A871CBA4A6DA42

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 7 of 7
stevec781

I changed the base part so that the sketch is on xy plane and re-created library and it works fine now.  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report