Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator - losing constraints when changing members

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
604 Views, 11 Replies

Frame Generator - losing constraints when changing members

I have made a simple rectangular frame made of structural angles.  I need the 4 corners to be mitered and to be able to change the dimensions of the frame, so I used frame generator.

I need a pattern of small clips welded to the inside face the frame.  I did this by mating the back face of the clips to the inside face of the angles.  This worked fine for resizing the frame itself, but when I changed the members to a different size, I lost the constrants holding the clips in place.

Is there a better way to attach the clips so that they will stay intact when switching frame members?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
PACDrafting
in reply to: Anonymous

Quick answer is no.

The frame generator creates a new file for size change. They really need to fix this issue.

If you used ifeatures this would not be a problem. On size change the constraints will stay.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: PACDrafting

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure I understand.  Do you mean to use iFeature for the angles that make up the frame?   Or for the clips?

Message 4 of 12
PACDrafting

My apologies.

I meant use ifeatures for the frame.

Don't get me wrong though frame generator is quite handy. But they really need to work out a better solution for keeping the same file when changing size. Not to sure why this is because if you insert a content centre file into an assembly and change the size the file stays as is.

Its up to you on what you use. If you go with the frame generator, then be prepared to reconstrain when changing size.

If you decide on ifeatures. Try to work out a nice workflow for your extrusions or sweeps and the mitred corners.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks again.  I guess I will try making the angles as ifeatures instead of frame generator. 

I was using frame generator because of the automatic mitering of corners.  Any suggestions on how to handle the corners in my new setup? 

Message 6 of 12
cbenner

Content Center files stay the same because you simply placing an instance of a library file.  Frame generator members are created as individual pieces, not an instance of a library file.  Therefore when you change a frame member it will generate a new part file.  It's annoying that this messes up constraints, but since there are nearly infinite combinations of size and length, I don't see any way of making this work with a content center family table, like pipe fitting, for example.

Message 7 of 12
PACDrafting
in reply to: cbenner

Chris

Try something for me.

In a frame generator assembly, mirror an item. Then right click on the item.

Tell me if you get the option to change size in content centre?

If yes, then research the reason why the frame generator needs to create another file.

I think you'll find it has something to do with 'adaptivity'.

Message 8 of 12
PACDrafting

There are a number of options.

I'm thinking inserting a workplane on an edge at your required angle and then use the split tool to cut away the corner.

We use multi solid body part modelling, so we have the ability to mirror the feature within the same part for mitres.

Message 9 of 12
PACDrafting

Hi

Just to inform you. Autodesk have corrected the issue with losing constraints on member size change.

You will need to install Inventor 2012 SP1. That is if you are using Inventor 2012.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Hello. I write script to replace profile size in FG. Now it's alpha version. I don't have enough time to write better script. Inventor no update sketch in "Notch" cut when change profile size. Scripts works fine.

Message 11 of 12
wes
Explorer

Hi can anyone help with why members change position once mirror has been done in Assembly mode.

1..... i complete a sketch and save it.

2....Then i open  up a new assebly while in the same project and save that also.

3...I place the sketch in the assembly and then go straight to Design tab and select insert frame a PFC member.

4   Also the sketch is fully constrained before going into assembly.

5..Now all mitering has been done.

6 Problem is when you Mirror the PFC  in the assembly after picking a face or plane they change....................?

7 They mirror but swap ends and the miters are opp hand.

Wes

Message 12 of 12
PACDrafting
in reply to: wes

Hi

You need to make sure it creates a seperate file.

e.g. you have the option to mirror as the same part or mirror to create a new part.

Keep in mind when mirroring creating the new part, it is not linked as a frame gen part. It will just be a normal part file with the frame gen part derived in. So therefore if the frame gen file is modified your mirror part will update also.

This is an issue which needs addressing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report