Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator: can't trim/extend to subassembly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nannerdw
1793 Views, 3 Replies

Frame Generator: can't trim/extend to subassembly

I'm unable to use the "Trim/Extend" command between a frame generator component and a part within a subassembly.

In the picture, the red/blue components are in a subassembly, and the yellow beam is the component to be trimmed.  However, only the faces of the patterned component instances within the subassembly (in blue) are available for selection in the trim/extend dialog.

In this particular case, I could just trim to one of the patterned components, but that's not always going to be an option in other frame assemblies.  Is there a workaraound for this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 3 of 4
nannerdw
in reply to: cbenner

The top-level assembly is "2_level_frame_assembly.iam"

I'm trying to trim the angled channel that runs between the platforms.

I noticed that once I go into the assembly created by the frame generator and pattern the cross beams, I can't go back and edit those patterned parts via the frame generator unless I delete the pattern.  I guess the reason why I'm able to trim to the patterned components is that they are no longer associated with the frame generator.

Message 4 of 4
blair
in reply to: nannerdw

I think you are stuck with only being able to use a assembly feature "Cut" that will oly show up at the assembly level. You can't use the "Trim" from within the FG to trim or extend to a part outside of the FG. When you go back into the components at the FG or Part level the cut will not be there.

Much like doing holes at the Assembly level in parts, it only shows at the Assembly level and not at the part/IPT level.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report