Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator, Use existing points

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
615 Views, 5 Replies

Frame Generator, Use existing points

I dont use Frame Generator that much, but ran into a situation where I thought it might be useful.  I am needing to add a cross member to my frame, but I dont have a sketch that represents the cross members.  Is there a trick to adding them without having to make a sketch on the plane that they will be on?

2014-02-16_2326.png

In the above view, I need to add some braces where I have the red lines.  Wouldnt it be nice if we could pick points from existing members of the frame work?  I tried that, but could not get that to work.

Thanks,

Kirk

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: karthur1

You would need to create a sketch if the cross member is at a certain angle. Otherwise you can use the 2point option where you select two points where you want your member to be. But the easiest would be to create a part and creating the sketch

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 6
ASI_Aaron

Interesting enough, you can select individual points on parts that aren't inserted with the frame generator.

FG_pt to pt.PNG

But I was unable to select any other points on the channel members you see in the image.

- Aaron -
PDSU 2016
i7-5820k
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe 512gb
Quadro K4200
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: ASI_Aaron

Aaron,

That's interesting, but all my parts are inserted with FG......

A point is a point is a point......why should it matter if its a FG part or other "normal" part?

Kirk

Message 5 of 6
blair

Done lots with points on different work planes, from point to point on either the same or different planes. Never worked with points on a FG part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

In the interest of creating a robust assembly - I think I would just buckle down and add to the skeleton file.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/IS-INVENTOR-REALLY-USEFUL/m-p/1332811/highlight/true...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report