Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Constraint Performance Error

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
SoulAsasin
1165 Views, 13 Replies

Frame Generator Constraint Performance Error

Hello all,

I am having performance problems with constraining a FG assembly. I have a simple frame, (cube form). When I am trying to constrain some  brakets to the frame (or anything else) and click apply, Inventor freezes and I have to wait about 2 mins. It is killing me.

The same when I try to insert new frame members

Any ideea why I have this problem?

Thanks.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
SoulAsasin
in reply to: SoulAsasin

I managed to find a workaround for this problem; in case somebody else is having it.

The ideea is that the generated FG frame should be in a phantom assembly. In this assembly you should only have the skeleton part and the frame.

All other parts (fasteners, milled parts, etc...) should be in a parrent assemlby.

This way the only time when I have this freeze is when I change the frame. Not at everyconstraint aded.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 3 of 14
SoulAsasin

Hey all.

This problem is starting to get to me.

I am using custom frame profile with frame generator and it is so so so so slow. I mean if I make a trim/extend I have to wait about 15 minutes!!

I don't think it's normal.

Anybody any ideas how can change things?

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 4 of 14
cbenner

The issues you are having don't sound normal.  I've been using FG for about 4 years now without any really long waits.  It does have to stop and think a little bit when you make changes to a frame, since it basically has to recalculate the entire thing to reset all of your end treatments etc.

Basic structure of a frame for me is:

Parent Assembly.iam - This is the entire frame broken into upper and lower sections     

Lower Frame.iam - Lower frame assembly

Lower Frame Sketch.ipt - Contains any sketches for lower frame

Lower Frame.iam - the actual frame generator assembly containing the skeleton

FG Parts as well as gussetts, feet etc. Constrained at this level.

....same structure for the upper frame.  Note that my gussetts and feet are constrained to the FG sub-assembly.  Not sure why you would have trouble doing it at this level.  System specs look ok, from where are you pulling your content center parts?

Message 5 of 14
SoulAsasin
in reply to: cbenner

Hey.

I have my custom frames in a CC library on my hard drive.

I usually have an asssembly whitch contains the skeleton and the inserted FG profiles. And a parent assembly which has the brackets, feet and everything  I need. I think this is ok no?

I don't think that my frame sections are to complex. I atached a temporary CC library with one frame type. Can you look if it works ok for you?

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 6 of 14
swhite

Don't forget to select all frame generated parts, right click, go to component and demote them into a parent assembly of whatever name you choose. Use this assembly to add plates etc, not the original frame assembly. This new assembly will update automatically as you update the frame assembly. This should help as inventor will not have to recalculate all the frame members every time you make a change in the new assembly.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 14
swhite
in reply to: swhite

Like so.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 14
cbenner

I can't open either of these documents.  The test.zip is just an assembly file with no parts, so it opens up empty and unresolved.  The .idcl file,... what is that?  What do you open it with?

Message 9 of 14
swhite

Right click the test01 assembly in the model tree while open and choose resolve file. Then locate the frame folder and select appropriate parts.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 11 of 14
swhite

Just remember to always demote any new generated frame members to the existing assembly (test02 in mine). Of course to edit these FG parts you will need to open the original test01 etc. You should then be able to open the FG assembly, then the demoted assembly and work in it without any serious performance hits. in my example i would open test02 and work entirely in it unless I needed to add new frame members or trim them etc.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 12 of 14
cbenner

Gotta say, I have never demoted any of my frame generated components to a lower level assembly, and I've never had any issues with them updating, or with adding non FG parts and having them constrain properly.  I like to keep them all on the original level so I don't have to mess with the BOM too much.

Just my opinion.

Message 13 of 14
swhite

Small FG assemblies are fine, but I model oil rigs and platforms with up to 3000 FG parts (not counting all the plates, pins, bolts, chains, pulleys, wirelines, etc.) and demoting prevents inventor from regenerating the FG parts unless I edit or change the original FG assembly. This saves countless hours of waiting for them to update. If you use bolts do not use inventors bolted connection, it will cause serious peformance issues as it rechecks every single bolt mate on update. Instead create bolt assemblies seperately (for ea size you need) and insert them into your model.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 14 of 14
SoulAsasin

Hey.

Thank you for your advvice.

My situation is somewhat better know, though it is still not as perfect as I wish. I still have some 30 s freeze, butit's much better after I demoted the FG parts.

I think the remaining lag is because the complex shape of my frame crossections.

Did you have any chance of trying to use my temporary CC?

P.S. I could not open your Frame model couse I'm using IV 2010, but thanks anyway.

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report