Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Analysis Instability

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dloganbill
1641 Views, 4 Replies

Frame Analysis Instability

Does anyone know how to resolve the "Instability (of type 2) detected at node 169 in direction UX" error? The help file is an utterly useless tangle of jargon: "Instability (of type 2) detected at node XY. There is zero value element on the diagonal of inverted stiffness matrix. Caused by mechanical instability of a structure, when a part of the structure is a mechanism (too many releases or incorrect definition of releases, or the number, type and positions of constraints are not sufficient)" Can anyone interpret this?
Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz; 32 GB RAM; GeForce GTX 680; SSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: dloganbill

Your model is not fully constrained/pinned within the FEA Frame Analysis module. It could be as missing a missing joint or you don't have any base/grounded constraints.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
dloganbill

OK. Well that's a start. I'm trying to simulate how the frame will react when it is hoisted in the air by a crane. It is very heavy, 40 foot long building. It has 6 lifting lugs for the crane operator to attach to. What is the best way to apply constraints in a situation like that?
Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz; 32 GB RAM; GeForce GTX 680; SSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 5
blair

I would place a Grounded constraint on the top of the frame at your lifting lug. You will need to apply gravity in the proper direction.

All your joints are proper constrained within the F-A module.

This will give you a static position. You will need to increase gravity by the rate of acceleration of your lift.

The problem my be that your model will want to rotate on the hook. You may need to adjust your direction of gravity to run through the center of your lift lug and through your CoG. I suspect this might be the problem with the first run. If you use a grounded constraint on the lift lug with gravity being correctly applied from the lift lug though CoG this should work.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

dloganbill,

How did you get on with your instability issue? I'm in the same position, i.e. lifting a 20 foot container with 4 lugs and having lots of probs with instability and more worryingly with multiple nodes for each intersection . If you had any success it would be great to hear about it. Many Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report