Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the new guy's in the discussion group

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
jletcher
1949 Views, 42 Replies

For the new guy's in the discussion group

Please take time and go to your settings and place what version of Inventor you are on in the signature.

Placing your computer specs would also be nice for some out there I don't care Inventor should work on any computer but a lot of the helpers out there would like to know.

This is important information we all need to be able to help and assist you better and faster.

Some of us I am sure just pass right on by if we don't see this.

Smiley HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43

I noticed!

My poor Inbox is getting reamed out!Smiley Very Happy

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 22 of 43

Great idea Curtis, I think I will start using that instead of my Signiture under "Settings".  Just dont reply curtis..... my inbox is full too. Smiley Happy... jk

Message 23 of 43
sam_m
in reply to: blair

lol at ppl's response to a doc for an image, thought it was just me (along with pdfs and massive bmps, or even a full screengrab when the issue is about a small dialog-box).

Would be nice to have a little "make sure your image is in a suitable jpg or png format and only shows the relevent area" message when someone uploads an image, similar to a "before uploading your model make sure all sketches are fully constrained and then roll up the EOP marker" message for ipt uploads 😉

on a semi-serious note - is it worth the original post in this topic being edited with bullet-points of all these annoyances - to become a "recommended posting tips for newbies" ref guide.  We can then simply link to this topic anytime we feel like banging our heads against a wall due to yet another frustration...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 24 of 43
jletcher
in reply to: sam_m

bullet-points of all these annoyances

Great idea and if we can get autodesk to lock it on the top so it is always there would be even better.

Message 25 of 43
mrattray

@sam_m wrote:
"before uploading your model make sure all sketches are fully constrained and then roll up the EOP marker" message for ipt uploads

I'm bad for not rolling up the EOP...

Don't forget "Make sure to include relevant parts with your assembly file". How often do you see a lone .iam file posted?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 26 of 43
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

jUsT mOvInG It BaCk To ThE tOp.

Boy is that ^ hard to read.. Smiley LOL

Message 27 of 43
brian.kling
in reply to: karthur1

I agree with you Kirk; if you know or suspect a question/issue may be pertinent to a specific release, is a great practice to put the version number in the subject line of the post.  

As Curtis points out, for more general identification of version and system settings that do change over time, try using the Macros feature instead.  This allows you to create text you want to use often, but not all the time, then is a quick pick and insert when posting a new message.  I added some screen captures as we have all agreed some like to see pictures to tell the story 😉

Macro.png

Macro2.png

Brian Kling
Sr International Customer Experience Lead
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 28 of 43
sam_m
in reply to: brian.kling

now we have an AD admin posting here, can we get this topic stickied at the top?  Obvious tips for newbies how to post here and to allow us all to refer to it the next time we feel like we're banging our heads against a wall...

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 29 of 43
jletcher

Yeah but the new guys are not reading it.. Still see a lot of new post from newbies and they still not posting version...

Why is there a flood of new guys?

are we training students that are to learn this in school?

Message 30 of 43
blair

If a vast number of them took the time to read the requirements, before they installed the software they wouldn't have the problems they do.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 31 of 43
msklein
in reply to: jletcher

How about too many companies,"IT "departments think that training is unnecessary. And normally they seem to control the money for equipment and training. Regular update and advanced training is not necessary I guess. Even basic training at some.

MSK

Message 32 of 43
mrattray
in reply to: msklein

Pay more in the long term to save in the short term. It's one of the most important principals of modern business!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 33 of 43
msklein

IT don't take that long maybe a few short months to see productivity improvement, structured assemblies, sheet metal and tubing and hoses. Just have to do one machine using tubing and hoses will cover cost and time. Or understanding how parts list work, control ballooning of assembly drawing. I was at one company that would not allow parts list to be on the drawing even of of the sheet, because purchesing comtrolled the part order. I watched one guy spend a week and a half redoing the ballooning for a large assembly. Not the 5-10 minutes max it should have taken.

MSK

Message 34 of 43
JDMather
in reply to: msklein

@msklein wrote:

How about too many companies,"IT "departments think that training is unnecessary. ....

I see the new guys are getting quality training... http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Open-Inventor-2013-ipt-in-Inventor-2012/m-p/3641566

Smiley Sad

Edited by
Discussion_Admin
(fixed the link)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 35 of 43
sam_m

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is there a flood of new guys?

UK universities started again for the year in Sep, so if the US universities/colleges are a similar date then I guess that's the reason why there's a few newbies with only a couple weeks training arriving here.

Back on topic - another "note" I'd request of new posters:

"Please be polite and courteous to other users and try to resist ranting in any post.  These forums are not an official Autodesk training facility and those that help here are all fellow Inventor users and not Autodesk employees.  We do so off our own backs voluntarily as people have helped us in the past and we want to pay it forward.  So please don't be a d1ck and don't assume your lack of training is resolved by aggressively complaining at others or the software.  Follow this advice and we are happy to help with problems and provide direction where needed - this does not mean we are here to do any homework or coursework though."

Sam M.

Message 36 of 43
jletcher

Than I think they need a rant forum. As far as I know there is no place for the users to display their unhappiness about the progress of Inventor.

The new interface is my biggest complaint getting sick of extra clicks.

The help really has gone down hill hard to find what you need and half the time don't display.

So if you don't want to see rants then there should be a forum for it. (they would need a bigger server to hold them all)

I would do it on their facebook but I don't have or ever will go on facebook.

Message 37 of 43
jletcher

Ok now they are double posting.

Autodesk please get a handle on this I think forums should not be for students they have teachers that are to be teaching them.

Or make a section for Inventor Students they are going to make a mess of the forums if you don't get this handled..

Message 38 of 43
mrattray

Why? They wont post in it. Just like how installation questions still get posted here instead of in the installation forum.

I don't mind the students anyways, except for the cocky think they know it all asshats.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 39 of 43
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok now they are double posting.

Autodesk please get a handle on this I think forums should not be for students they have teachers that are to be teaching them.

Or make a section for Inventor Students they are going to make a mess of the forums if you don't get this handled..

There are more than 5 million student members of the Autodesk Education Community.
I have not seen any significant number of them posting questions here.
I have not been able to detect any significant difference between the questions they ask and the most of the questions the "professionals" post here.
I have not been able to identify more than a half-dozen teachers world-wide who know how to use Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 40 of 43
jletcher
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather's Wrote:

There are more than 5 million student members of the Autodesk Education Community.

Dang that many!!!

I have not seen any significant number of them posting questions here.

? Really this week and last week there are tons. Now they don't say they are but kind of funny when you find 3 post of the same thing from newbie's at the same time or with in hours of each post.

I have not been able to detect any significant difference between the questions they ask and the most of the questions the "professionals" post here.

I can but just a little.... But true....

I have not been able to identify more than a half-dozen teachers world-wide who know how to use Inventor.

You found that many wow I only knew of 3 you being one Smiley Happy..

And I don't mind it but I just think it is going to make a mess of the forums from repost and multi posting the same question with different students.. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report