Inventor General

Active Contributor
wolterh6
Message 1 of 5 (180 Views)

Folding length cost

180 Views, 4 Replies
11-19-2011 04:41 PM

I would like to know what calculation on the length of a folding feature is performed by Inventor when one folds it. Read my example to better understand my question.

I am trying to fold a part of my sheet 90 degrees, I am going to call the folding part sheet B and the rest of the sheet, sheet A. Now, understand that when I fold sheet B 90 degrees, its face will no longer be parallel to sheet A, but the face of its thickness will. Consider this, now: when I fold the sheet B, there will be an inner part of the folding (which will have the faces of both sheet sections 90 degrees from each other) and the outer part (which will have an angle of 270 degrees between them).

I want the distance between the thickness face and the outer face of sheet A to be X in length. Which is the intial length of sheet B for this to happen? Consider using the BendRadius, Thickness, and other Inventor Sheet Metal parameters that will participate in the equation.

The question surged because I wanted such distance to be 5 in a part with a Thickness setting of 0.5 (as well as BendRadius), but because of this folding length calculation, I had to make sheet B 5.631 in length.

*Expert Elite*
Message 2 of 5 (172 Views)

Re: Folding length cost

11-20-2011 12:05 AM in reply to: wolterh6

Make sure you are in sheet metal environment.

The k value regulates the amount of material added to a bend.

Go to sheet metal styles and edit your k value to get the flat length you require.

*Expert Elite*
Message 3 of 5 (170 Views)

11-20-2011 04:49 AM in reply to: wolterh6

Attach your file here.
Are you aware of Bend Allowance calculations (material compresses on inside of bend and streches on outside of bend - see Machinerys' Handbook).

Why are you using Fold rather than modeling as folded (using Fold is almost never the best way to model a sheet metal part - attach your part here).

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
wolterh6
Message 4 of 5 (159 Views)

11-20-2011 06:27 PM in reply to: JDMather

Well, honestly my drawing professor didn't even teach my class how to use Sheet Metal, so I'm here on my own. I wasn't aware of either of the things you said hehe. But yes, the term you specified sounded just right; I do not own or know that Handbook, will give it a search though. The part I am working with its attached.

*Expert Elite*
Message 5 of 5 (147 Views)

11-21-2011 05:51 AM in reply to: wolterh6

Notice that by using Countoured Flange you don't have to do any calculations - Inventor will calculate your flat pattern taking into account the Bend Allowance.

Also, only takes two lines in the sketch.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube