Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat pattern a cylinder

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
satbir.sohal
4307 Views, 6 Replies

Flat pattern a cylinder

Hello,

I am unable to flat pattern the cylinder. Also, is it possible to rotate the XZ and YZ plane by 5 degrees ?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: satbir.sohal

A continuous cylinder can't be flattened, can it?  If you were holding this part in your hand, how could you unroll it?  You will need to create a thin cut from top to bottom.  There is a tool called Rip that is meant for this situation.

In addition, you have dimensioned your material in Sketch 1 to be 4 mm thick, but your Thickness parameter is 1 mm.  Adjust your sheet metal defaults, or select a different Sheet Metal Rule, so the Thickness parameter is what you want.

As for adjusting the XZ and YZ planes, the short answer is "no".  This is like asking to adjust the earth so that the leaning tower of Pisa stands straight-- straight in relation to what?  The origin planes are the basis for everything else.  You ask about rotating them five degrees-- measured from what?

Message 3 of 7
satbir.sohal
in reply to: SBix26

Hello Sam,

I was able to get the RIP, by changing the parameters, but the flat pattern still shows a circular cylinder ?

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Attach this new file with the Rip feature here.

Did you get the material thickness set correctly?

You are going about modeling this part all wrong.

It is a sheet metal part - therefore use sheet metal tools (not Extrude, at least not till you are experienced).

Your Sketch1 should be 1 circle and only 1 circle. (either the outside dia or inside dia - whichever one is most important to you)

Then use the Contoured Flange tool to create the sheet metal cylinder.

Then Rip.

I suspect your holes are all wrong (and sketches not fully constrained).

I suspect your holes will be drilled/punched in the flat, not the round (it makes a difference).

Unfold
Cut
Refold

Flat Pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
satbir.sohal
in reply to: JDMather

I have attached my new file with RIP. I tried other options like Unfold and refold, but I want to get the cylinder flat patterned.

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
satbir.sohal
in reply to: JDMather

Hello. I was able to extrude and flat pattern in my other file which is attached here. But, I am not able to figure out the problem in my 2mm thick cylinder.

Message 7 of 7
SBix26

No need for the unfold / refold.  Just delete the existing flat pattern and create it again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report