Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Using Sheet Metal - Need Crtics....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
GSE_Dan_A
320 Views, 5 Replies

First Time Using Sheet Metal - Need Crtics....

Hello all,

I have ventured my way into the sheet metal realm and fought my way through making my first sheet metal part and flat pattern.  This part was made without any tutorials/ guides and is relatively simple (3 90 degree bends).  I would like some feedback on my workflow and possibly easier/alternate ways to of achieved the exact part I produced. I am more than certain I did wayyyyyy too much work (as Mr JD Mathers likes to put it).  Smiley LOL One thing I know I did correct was fully constraining eeeeeeeeeevvvvvvverrrrry sketch!.  I have attached the file below as well as a snapshot of my Model Browser (for those who just want to take a peak).

Corner Bracket - Forum.png

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

I didn't check this for accuracy.  Quick example.

Now that I understand the geometry I could eliminate the second mirror feature.

After bit more thought - I could do as a Revolve rather then Mirror and eliminate the 45° plane as well - but I think I would rather do as mirror.

There is problaby merit to doing those chamfers as features as well rather than in the sketch, but I thought I would go for the shortest feature list.

On third thoughts - this one bugs me.  I'm going to have to start over from scratch and do it right.

Corner Bracket.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you JD.  Ahhh mirror command (doh!) Would of saved me a slew of steps as well as grouping the Corner Rounds.  So as far as simplifying the part is concerned, my use of the tools availble were correct?

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Your part was good, especially for a first attempt at sheet metal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

Here is another solution - I like this one better as it uses datums for you dimensions without calculations.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
GSE_Dan_A

Thanks JD! I think I am starting to get a decent grasp on sheet metal (or atleast the introductory aspect of it).  I appreciate your time and effort.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report