Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Sketch Orientation

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hosford
350 Views, 6 Replies

First Sketch Orientation

Why is it when I select the Top (XZ Plane) does the sketch orient itself so TOP is read upside down? Subsequent Sketches on a TOP face yields expected results.

And it is also true that it if I select Right (XY) the sketch orients itself so RIGHT reads top to bottom? and if I rotate the cube orientation so TOP is truly on top, the Constrain Axis' are off by 90º? yet if I subsequently select the RIGHT face for a sketch, it yields expected results (RIGHT reads from left to right).

This cannot be the way it is supposed to be. it although has been this way for may versions.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: hosford

This is scheduled to be fixed at some point in future Inventor versions. Here is an Idea Station thread about this issue: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Sketch-Orientation-quot-Look-At-quot-Feature/idi-...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 7
hosford
in reply to: mrattray

Wow

This should be a first priority for autodesk.

how hard would it have been to correct it in the 2014 release.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 4 of 7
mrattray

If engineers were in charge of everything the world would be a much better place. In this case, I really doubt it ever would have been an issue in the first place. Unfortunately, engineers take orders from executives who get their advice from marketers and accountants...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 7
jletcher

But in to be honest they was spending to much time making the new interface so we can click more..

Yes still want my classic..

Sorry had too...

Message 6 of 7
ahadesign

What I've learned to do :

If a sketch does not have the orientation you like then finish it without drawing. You can then reselect it and right-click change orientation. Put it the way you want and go back into the sketch. Most usefull when you need to have text on injection parts. Sketch orientation is never the way you want to write.

Alex

Message 7 of 7
swhite

here, try this: Simply go to tools, application options, sketch and deselect the "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation". Place a sketch on any plane, then chamnge your view.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report