Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Angle Projection Switch

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
CSSIENGR
5008 Views, 15 Replies

First Angle Projection Switch

I am working on a job that requires first angle projection. I know how to select the option in Inventor 2010 to do this and I understand how first angle projection works. My question is that because our shop has to make our parts and components using third angle projection, is there any easy way of converting my thrid angle drawings into first angle drawings? I already know that if I make views in third angle and then click on the first angle option, my views do not change. I understand that if I want to make views in first angle, I just have this setting selected before I put down my first view. Has anyone found a way to make the view change, or switch projection, on the fly, or do I basically have to do double work. By double work, I mean create one set of drawings in third for my shop and then do another set in first for my drawing submission.

Thank you
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pcrawley
in reply to: CSSIENGR

Oh dear. I know exactly what you are saying, and the answer is no. There is no switch as such (like "alternate units" on dimensions.)

You could do what some students did to me recently... They copied each others work (Inventor drawings), but to try and throw me off the fact that they were direct copies, they dragged the elevations around the sheet a bit. What they didn't realise was that by dragging an end view of a shaft from one side of the plan to the other, made their drawings instant failures because I was marking 3rd angle 🙂 (The drawings were very good - just wrong!) It took me a while to work out how they had actually got it wrong since Inventor did the thinking for them - they just forced the drawings to be wrong.

So I guess the short answer is to do the shop drawings the way you want them, make copies, and then just drag the views around to get 1st angle. At least it's quicker than redrawing everything twice.

Peter
Peter
Message 3 of 16
paveljarka1

Do you still teach your students in UK a 3rd angle, In 21 century?

Unbelievable

Pavel
Message 4 of 16
petercharles

Third angle projection is, and always has been, superior to to first angle projection.
Why first angle has not been consigned to the rubbish bin of history is quite beyond me!
Message 5 of 16
pcrawley

Thanks for all your constructive and helpful input Parvel.
Perhaps you would like to go and help somewhere else now?
Peter
Message 6 of 16
paveljarka1

3rd angle is for no brain no pain people.
Message 7 of 16
pcrawley

Parvel

I not sure what point you are trying to make - and to be honest, I've lost interest now.

This post was about helping someone who has to produce drawings that work in both standards. It wasn't asking your "opinion" on which is better.

These discussion groups are for helping people Parvel.
If you don't have anything to offer, then don't post. It's quite simple.
Peter
Message 8 of 16
paveljarka1

In fact I need help. Iam forced by my english boss to stard drawing drawings in a 3rd angle projection, after what I have been using 1st angle for 3 years for him.

My point is that he started to employ 55+ 'years' ,less qualified welders just to save company money.

I do not know what I should do.

I have asked a few welders whether they know the difference between 1st and 3rd angle, or at least how views and section or crosssections are created, non of them knows.

They told me that they start with view in the middle of the drawing, and then go strait to the view above it, without any thinking about how the top view was created.

I cant help myself but this is just no brain thinking.

Pavel
Message 9 of 16
petercharles

At school in the UK (aged 13) I was trained in 1st angle projection and 3rd angle projection.
Once I went to work (aged 16) EVERYONE used 3rd angle projection and the logic for 3rd angle was obvious and that was in the 1960's.

If you are a skilled draughtsman you can draw in both 1st and 3rd angle projection.
As an employee, if the boss says 3rd angle then you draw in 3rd angle.

The illogicality of 1st angle is brought home to me every time I see a drawing from one of the German drive unit manufacturers we use.
Message 10 of 16
pcrawley

Hi Parvel. Now I understand. Bosses eh, they just don't have a clue!!

Oh, hang on, maybe he does have a point...

He's probably hiring "cheaper" labour to reduce costs. By reducing costs, he's keeping his business running. By keeping the business running, you still have a job. (And it's worth remembering sometimes that it is his business - not yours - so what he says goes!)

Unless you work entirely on your own and manufacture everything you draw yourself, then you are going to have to work as part of a team. Often with teams, they work at the pace of the slowest member - or in your case, you just have to produce drawings in the simplest form the welders can understand.

If you really understand what you have written here it's like saying "I'm right and everyone else is wrong."
Follow that logic a bit further and you'll be saying your native language is better than English too. So not only will the welders or your boss understand what you are talking about, they'll build everything you draw back-to-front, your workshop will turn into a giant scrap heap, the company will lose money & go bust, you'll be out of a job - but hey, at least you were right about 1st vs 3rd angle.

You said "I don't know that I should do". They have a beautiful saying here in New Zealand - it's "Pull your head in". Or you could of course find another job where they draw in your favourite way.

If the only thing you have to worry about in your current job is the rights and wrongs of 1st or 3rd angle projection, then give me the name of your employer because I would love a job there.
Peter
Message 11 of 16
robmatthews

Dude, good response. But, i can't help thinking... see pic...
=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 12 of 16
pcrawley

LOL. Love the pic, but in my opinion it's taken from the wrong angle...
Peter
Message 13 of 16
TimCahillusa

Regardless of which layout is better, we still have customers and vendors that require either first or third angle projections. Having the ability to switch from one to the other on the fly would be a tremendous feature. The cost savings alone would move Autocad and Inventor above the competition.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

It's as easy as 1-2-3 See attached. Available in all recent versions.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

You are correct. the switch has to be made before views are created.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 16 of 16
Designer.MKI
in reply to: paveljarka1

oh man in america many and other companies still using Third angle so what we can doSmiley Indifferent

Kashi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report