Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet a Flat Surface to a rounded edge???

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2677 Views, 9 Replies

Fillet a Flat Surface to a rounded edge???

I am building a Crankshaft. I am trying to figure out how to build the connecting weights that attach the main journals to the connecting rod journals. I can post a screenshot of the design. I have a extruded face that is a half circle on the top.so I am trying to fillet or cut a section off of the rounded edge. I have tried to build tangent workplanes and projecting geomety, but to no avail. Can anyone assist me? I am fairly new to Inventor, (having only a year of experiance) but I am pretty inclined with the program. Thanks for any help!!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach your ipt file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Here you go,. I was able to build the cut extrusion with several tangent work planes,but if you look close to the edge. it always shows a remained to the cut extrusion.

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

I do not fully understand the problem description.

Can you post a screen shot with the problem circled?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

The screenshot is too big to attach. In the .Ipt I uploaded, the surface has been chamfer/filleted using multiple offset and angled planes. but if you look closely at the bottom of the cut extrusion, (the last extrusion in the toolbar to the left)It has left a few chunks of the original edge surface material in the shape of triangles on each side. does this make it any clearer?

if you were to look at the end of the part with multiple stepped cylinders, at the fourth stepped up cylinder there is a perpendicular surface that mates to it, and also mates to the next, offset cylinder. I am trying to build the chamfer to cut out the extra material and make the part weight less, but I don't understand why the cut extrusion is leaving pieces of the original shap after its been cut.

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Are you sure you attached the correct ipt file here?

Zoom wayyyyyyyyy in on the area of the model that you circled.

Go to the lower left corner of your screen (if using Windows 7 or Vista) and click on the Windows globe.

Start typing Snipping Tool.

Select the Snipping Tool Application.

Snip the area of your screen indicated in the circle.

Save an attach the image here.Snipping tool.png

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

That would be a great idea if I was using Vista/Windows 7, which I am not. I was able to solve my conundrum. the angled plan that I created and the projected cut edges, left a razor thin edge close to the mating surface, so using the taper function I was able to taper it out 10 degrees and it removed the section.! thank you for all of your help, btw, is there a snipping tool in windows xp that you are aware of?

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... is there a snipping tool in windows xp that you are aware of?

I can't remember back that far - but I am sure there is MS Paint in xp that you can crop the area of interest of an image.
Print Screen to capture the image and then Ctrl V to paste into Paint.

There are free screen capture tools on the web.

Message 9 of 10
mpatchus

Try http://xpsnipping.codeplex.com/

Several folks have told me it works great on XP (but I haven't tried it myself since I don't have XP).

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks a ton!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report