Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filled Holes in Elevations

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
floccipier
1184 Views, 9 Replies

Filled Holes in Elevations

Hi guys,

How I can get the holes filled/hatched in elveation vies and in sections?

Please see the attaced sketch.

thanks in advnace.

Sajid.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: floccipier

Not sure I understand the question - do you want to remove the holes or fill/hatch?
To remove right click on lines/arcs and turn off visibility.

To fill/hatch start a sketch in the view.  Project Geometry the boundaries and then Fill/Hatch.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
floccipier
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure I understand the question - do you want to remove the holes or fill/hatch?
To remove right click on lines/arcs and turn off visibility.

To fill/hatch start a sketch in the view.  Project Geometry the boundaries and then Fill/Hatch.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

Thanx Mather for your reply.

I want to fill/hatch the holes.

is there any other way to do that except of project gemometry and then filling/hatching in. In my case where my assembly got couple of hundreds of beams and each beam having couple of dozens of holes - Hope you understand what i mean.

waiting for your reply.

Message 4 of 10
jeanchile

We have found no reasonable way to do this using Inventor. Unfortunately there are a few areas where IV is lacking when it comes to the steel detailing and fabrication industry. There are several things specified by the governing codes we use (AISC and NISD here in the USA) that we have had to abandon when it comes to using IV for steel detailing. JD's method works fine for a couple of drawings worth but if you have an entire structure it is a pain. Our test using sketch symbols was a joke as well. We finally explained to our clients that we would no longer be able to adhere to certain codes when utilizing this software and they accepted it (mostly because they had to; it has yet to come up in one of our audits yet, but it will eventually).

Autodesk makes a steel detailing software package but it is currently the joke of the industry, which is pretty bad considering they are all a joke in my opinion. Hence the reason for our software implementation study to see if we could use IV for that portion of our business. Overall, I have been more pleased with IV for the types of work we do than any of the available steel detailing tools (tekla, SDS/2, etc.) but we have had to leave some of the codes/industry practices behind to do it. The use of "filled" holes per the AISC detailing manual is one of them.

Sorry, and good luck. Maybe one of the smart programmer types that populate this board can come up with an iLogic/VBA solution for you. It was something we discussed looking into here but abandoned it because we had work to do (and we're not very smart Smiley Wink).

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 10
floccipier
in reply to: jeanchile

Jean, 

thanx for replying to post.

these requirements of codes are almost same in AS/NZ, BS and EC3 (euro code). So it really becomes pain in back side to satisfy the clients/ managers. In addition to that our internationl office here in dubai is doing lot of projects around in middle east and india and all client gets is pdf, so its really difficult to make every one understand of defficiencies of Inventor. Its my responsibility to maintain the code standards in fabrication drawings so I need to go around the part where Inventor lacks the detailing requiremets to satisfy code requiremets.

Since we produce drawings in bulk - what we do is when drawings is finalised we save it as inventor dwg and then open it into AutoCad Mechanical and do the filling/hatching there coz the sketching is much more faster and handy there for draftspersons there. (Us, here are not as smart as well Smiley Very Happy )

i'll keep looking for some reasonable solution to the problem based on your suggestion (ilogic and vba or something else) and will share here Smiley Wink

filling holes autodesk doesn't care about Smiley Sad,

Sajid.

Message 6 of 10
jeanchile

@floccipier wrote:

... then open it into AutoCad Mechanical and do the filling/hatching there coz the sketching is much more faster and handy ...

Ya' know, while you're in Mechanical you could probably create a dynamic block of a solid filled surface that you can insert and copy. It might be faster than sketching and hatching.

Good luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 10
floccipier
in reply to: jeanchile

yeah right - v are almost doing somthing like that Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
CAD-One

Here is a possible work around. May be this needs a litte tweaking too.

If you don't mind working in an assembly, you could try using bolted connections and insert a phantom dowel or custom fastener of some kind. You could try working out a style to fill hatch it.
Just a suggestion.
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 9 of 10
floccipier

Sounds good
But will cover only bolted connections & also assembly becomes bigger and slower having tens of thousands bolts and their respective couple of constraints each.
Yet much appreciated.
Message 10 of 10
floccipier
in reply to: CAD-One

Plus Bolted connections will leave bolts in assembly and part will show the hole only in drawing (in case if I need drawings of individual channel e.g. a channel)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report