Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File attachments

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Talayoe
1007 Views, 4 Replies

File attachments

Hello all,

I am wondering how you would go about 'attaching' a file (any file type) as a reference file to an inventor drawing in the tree? 

I have some customer drawings and in the tree it shows '3rd Party' and under that is a file attachment (usually an XLS in their case) and I am just wanting to do the same in one of my documents.

tks

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Talayoe

Hi Talayoe,

You can go to the Manage tab and use the Insert Object tool to do this. In the Insert Object dialog box, use the Create From File option and then browse for the file you want to use.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5
Cadmanto

Under the "Manage" tab there is an "Insert Object" command.  What ever file you choose will come in under a 3rd part selection in the browser.  If you tree that out you will see your file. Plus you can open up the file from this location as well.

import.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 5
CCarreiras

Hi!

You have to "insert a object". See picture in attach.

In any file, ipt, asm, dwg, go to manage tab and pick "insert object" (Step 1)

If you have already one "3rd party file" ready to attach, chose option "Create from file". (Step2) You can also maintain the link to the file, or just import the "3rd party file" into the CAD file and forget the souce. You can chose also if you want to view the respective icon.

(Step 3), chose the file you want to attach

(Step 4), The file is attached!!

Note: if you want to create a file from the scratch into the inventor you can chose the option "Create New".and this file can be visible in the work area.

Regards.

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Talayoe
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thank you all, this works quite well save for one thing; If I chose the 'display icon' and have the 'link' on, it shows the icon similar to that of a windows desktop shortcut (with the little arrow in the bottom) which is fine. I like the idea of having it in the document to remove the possibility of future file location issues.

that being said, if I select as 'display icon' without the 'link' set, it does not show the icon. Instead it shows 'Embedding #' and has the icon of a notepad app, where as I am inserting a jpg (aprox 1.5mg pic). 

I would have thot the word Embedding would mean its adding to the file, but leaving it sit for 5 minutes and it hasnt changed leads me to believe it wont. If I double click on said 'embedding' it opens the file as normal.

Thoughts?

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report