Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Lock?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
469 Views, 7 Replies

File Lock?

Once a part/drawing/assembly is finish. How do I lock the file from further editing? I would still like to copy/paste part so I can create the next revision using the copied file. I would still like to view and use said part after locking, but just want to keep from accidentally editing it. I'm running into the problem of accidentally editing a part that has been released. I go back, and everything is FUBAR'ed. And with file association, all other drawing files go with it.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
andrewiv
in reply to: Anonymous

Change the file to read only.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I was told that productstream was able to lock files but is it possible with vault explorer?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

File security (via access-control-lists, aka ACLs) is available in
Vault-Workgroup and above.

Dave Mink
Autodesk / Data Management
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Meaning?
Is Vault-Workgroup = Vault Explorer?
Message 6 of 8
amandamao

No, Vault Workgroup is not equal to Vault Explorer. Further, Vault Workgroup and above stands for Vault Workgroup, Vault Collaboration and Vault Professional (which is named Vault Manufacturing in 2010). File Lock is indeed supported in these 3 Vault products other than Vault Explorer before 2010. But unfortunatelly, you may find the File Lock command is removed from these 3 products since 2010 for some reason. We did recognize the requirement on this function whereas some existing/potential issues (complains) as well.

Regards,
Amanda
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

So, for all the Vault Explorer users, what do Autodesk suggest for file locking?
File locking should be available for Vault Explorer...
It's like buying a car without brakes...somehow one day the car will have to brake to avoid accident (or just been parked), but to avoid accident and or been killed, you have to pay extra $ = non logic.

I want to lock file with Vault Explorer to avoid an accidental "check out". I know I can do a "get previous version" to repair the damages - same way I put the crashed car on the framemaster for reperation = big lost of money...

So, Autodesk people, are you selling cars with ou without brakes?

Best Regards
Message 8 of 8
amandamao

Well. there is an Autodesk Vault discussion group where might be better for you to get your questions exposure: http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=101.

Thanks,
Amanda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report