Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEM using INVENTOR-Want to determine the number of Elements in the FE mesh

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jwillieinventor
1547 Views, 7 Replies

FEM using INVENTOR-Want to determine the number of Elements in the FE mesh

Hello All,

I am learning how to use Inventor for doing FEM simulations. I just wanted to know if there is a way i can determine the number of elements in the FE model after the mesh generation process?

Thanks in advance for the help.

sincerely,

James

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Inv_kaos
in reply to: jwillieinventor

Top left of the modelling screen when in mesh view.
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 8
jwillieinventor
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Thanks for the ans. I had already seen it. I am just wondering whether you can also vary the element type in inventor? We seem to have tri elements. Can one change it to QUAD?

Thanks!

Jimmy

Message 4 of 8
Inv_kaos
in reply to: Inv_kaos

In case you are interested, the number of nodes is probably of more use. Since the degrees of freedom is equal to the number of nodes x 3 for solids or x 6 for shells minus the number of degrees of freedom you fix with boundary conditions per node. The degrees of freedom are equal to the number of equations that must be solved for a direct solver and will give you a good guide as to how long your simulation will take.
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 5 of 8
Inv_kaos

No, only tetrahedral elements in Inventor. You might want to look into Autodesk Simulation (Algor) if you need more element types.
Stew, AICP
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

I have another problem or question. I wanted a benchmark that i could use to test the accuracy of the FEM solvers in Inventor and ANSYS STRUCTURAL. I am interested getting data on the Fichera Problem. Any ida how i can get this?

Thanks!

Jimmy

Message 7 of 8
blair

Not sure on Inventor's FEA, but with the Mechanical Simuation (formerly Algor) there are verification models on the Autodesk website. You will need to go to the Product Support section for Mechanical Simulation. You should be able to navigate to it from the Support icon at the top of this user forum.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
Inv_kaos

Check out the following link. It compares Inventor Simulation and Autodesk Simulation 2012 to NAFEMS benchmarks. http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autodesk_simulation_tools_NAFEMS_white_paper_en.pdf
Stew, AICP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report