Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA problems with AIP9

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
113 Views, 2 Replies

FEA problems with AIP9

Under Customer-Files I have posted a very simple tube model I am trying to run ANSYS on. Can anyone solve this very simple tube finite element model? I let my machine run all night and this morning I had a message telling me the mesh had a catastrophic error. As you will see, the model is quite simple and I'm very surprised ANSYS is not capable of solving it. Constrain the ends and apply a body gravity load in the -Y direction and try to solve. Thanks in advance for your help
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

G Lock, We can reproduce this using either AIP FEA or ANSYS Workbench 8.0. The error occurs in the meshing process with Extrusion3 being introduced to the part. The issue has been reported to developers for further investigation. Best regards, Gary Tang Autodesk Inventor FEA QA "G Lock" wrote in message news:4194d2b6$1_3@newsprd01... > Under Customer-Files I have posted a very simple tube model I am trying to > run ANSYS on. > > Can anyone solve this very simple tube finite element model? I let my > machine run all night and this morning I had a message telling me the mesh > had a catastrophic error. As you will see, the model is quite simple and > I'm very surprised ANSYS is not capable of solving it. > > Constrain the ends and apply a body gravity load in the -Y direction and > try > to solve. > > Thanks in advance for your help > >
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

G Lock, ANSYS engineer has looked into this and found that although your part looks simple, its ratio of length (8000 mm) over wall thickness (2.5 mm) is too large. "I am guessing the error you are seeing is that the process is running out of memory. This is because each section would require over 1 million elements." (ANSYS). You can easily verify this by following these steps: - open your part; - select Shell1 from the browser, Right Mouse Button click and select Edit Features; - increase Thickness from your setting 2.5 mm to 4 mm, OK to dismiss the dialog; - switch to Stress Analysis panel, click Stress Analysis Settings, click Preview Mesh, you will see meshing is performed successfully now. Note you only need to increase the wall thickness by 1.5 mm (from 2.5 mm to 4 mm), you can succeed. Also note how many elements in the preview! AIP FEA uses solid elements for discretization. Parts like yours should be modeled using shell elements instead of solid elements. ANSYS DesignSpace (full) is capable of handling parts of this nature. Please let me know if you have further questions or you need help for a workaround. Best regards, Gary Tang Autodesk Inventor "Gary Tang" wrote in message news:4194f764$1_3@newsprd01... >G Lock, > > We can reproduce this using either AIP FEA or ANSYS Workbench 8.0. The > error occurs in the meshing process with Extrusion3 being introduced to > the part. > > The issue has been reported to developers for further investigation. > > Best regards, > > Gary Tang > > Autodesk Inventor FEA QA > > > "G Lock" wrote in message > news:4194d2b6$1_3@newsprd01... >> Under Customer-Files I have posted a very simple tube model I am trying >> to >> run ANSYS on. >> >> Can anyone solve this very simple tube finite element model? I let my >> machine run all night and this morning I had a message telling me the >> mesh >> had a catastrophic error. As you will see, the model is quite simple and >> I'm very surprised ANSYS is not capable of solving it. >> >> Constrain the ends and apply a body gravity load in the -Y direction and >> try >> to solve. >> >> Thanks in advance for your help >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report