Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA constraints - pressure vessels

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Cnoj
4509 Views, 11 Replies

FEA constraints - pressure vessels

I'm modelling a pressure vessel that will have no forces applied to it other than pressure and the basic shape (for now) is just a hollow cube.

What's the best way to constrain the vessel so I can apply equal pressure to it's 6 surfaces? It seems like I shouldn't need any constraints as the system would be in equilibrium without them but Inventor doesn't agree with me.

I'm using the basic FEA package included with Inventor 2008 Pro.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Cnoj

How will the part be constrained in space in the real world? Mounting brackets? Gussets?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
blair

When you transfer models into FEA, they come into a frictionless and gravity free zone/state. Your box-tank would need some form of support in real life, even if it was sitting on a table. I would probable use the split-face tool to create a couple of areas on your base to place supports. I would fix only one of the areas (XZY) and then place single direction constraints in the direction of your gravity. I would enable Gravity in your model as well. These area points may be small spots on the bottom corners of your model.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
Cnoj
in reply to: JDMather

Gravity. it will sit on the floor and the base will be free to deform.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 5 of 12
blair

That's what I thought, follow my instructions for the constraints, use very small "split-face" in each corner of the base. This will allow the center of the tank base to be free to deform under load.

Fix the one corner in all axis, then support/fix the other three corners with only a single axis constraint. If your tank base plate is in the XY plane, then support the three corners in the Z only.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 12
Cnoj
in reply to: blair

I don't have access to the machine with Pro on it right now but from memory it only had 3 constraint types, Frictionless, Pin (Roller maybe?) j and Fixed(?). I'm probably mis-remembering these but I played with all three and couldn;t find one to suit. Frictionless allowed a surface to slide on a plane but not deform away from it at all. Are you suggesting I use this on tiny feet and if so will the split face allow the rest of the base to deform independently of the feet?

Also when you say single direction constraints for three of the feet, do you mean constrain them to move only along a (vertical) line? It seems like this would compromise the results as the corners of the cube would probably want to move inwards under pressure (it's a vacuum chamber).

Thanks for taking the time to answer,

Jon

IV 2008 pro

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 7 of 12
Cnoj

Blair,

I just saw your second post. I'll take a look tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again,

Jon.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 8 of 12
blair

If you tank base is in the XY, that mean the Z is the height of the tank. By fixing the one corner in all (XZY) and then fixing the other three only in the Z. It will allow the three corners of the tank to slide in the X and Y (simple support).

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 12
Cnoj

OK, I eventually found the costraints you described, and got good results.

For ref. : 'Fixed Constraint' has a '>>' button that gives seperate control over x,y & z instead of defaulting to all three at once.

Thanks.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 10 of 12
blair

Sorry about that, I asumed you knew about that when I was describing the constraints. I been using FEA since the early 1990's

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
Cnoj

How do you enable gravity btw? Couldn't find that either.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 12 of 12
blair

It's in the "Loads" panel, look for the "Apple" icon.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report